First watercooling build

Associate
Hi all!

It's not my 1st custom PC, however it will be my first watercooling build :cool:

My build will be :
  • MB : ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA1151
  • CPU : Intel i7 9700k
  • Disk : addlink S70 1TB SSD NVMe x2
  • PSU : EVGA 650W GOLD G3 Série 220-G3-0650-Y2
  • RAM : Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz
  • GPU : SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G
  • Case : Raijintek Asterion Classic Aluminium Midi

Watercooling :
I would like if possible something similar to this build : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/raijintek-asterion-classic-mini-review.18778734/

What reservoir and pump is it ?

Any recommendations for the Waterblocks for my CPU and GPU ?
  • A Pump
  • A Reservoir
  • Waterblock GPU: Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Plexi GPX-A AMD Radeon 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro+ ?
  • Waterblock CPU
  • Fans
  • Radiator
  • Tubing
  • Fittings
  • Fluid : Mayhem silver

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies !

@LiE : I wasn't sure if paradigm was still on the forum, his post is a bit old now (3years).
About the GPU, I don't really mind about the brand, even if I prefer Sapphire/Asus.

But I'm ok to go with one of the below GPU, if there is more choice for the waterblock :)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
  • Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 5700 XT
  • Asus Strix RX 5700 XT
  • MSI Gaming RX 5700 XT
@orbitalwalsh : Sorry, I forgot to add my CPU, I updated the main post. I was thinking to go with the Intel i7 9700K, I'm not sure if it worst to take the 9900K ?

For the motherboard, I hesitate between the ASUS ROG Strix and Aorus. I always had an Asus, and the motherboards were always reliable (in opposite of my previous Gigabyte).

I'm now a bit scare when I take something else than Asus for the Motherboard lol

I hear a lot of good things about perf/cost for the Aorus Z390, but also hear the BIOS was better on Asus ?

Ps : I choose the Asus, because Aorus is a sub-brand of Gigabyte :rolleyes: But I will be happy if you can share your experience about that one ;)

Associate
OP
Well I have a specific reason to keep intel instead of AMD, but I'm not sure if it's something we can talk on this forum :confused: (***tosh)

Without this restriction, I will probably go for AMD. I know it also works on AMD, but from what I read, it seems there is more issues :-/

- CPU Waterblock : I believe I can take whatever I want that support the socket LGA1151 correct ?
- Reservoir, Pump, Radiators : is it just depending of the case's dimensions, or there is some kind of compatibility/power that I need to take in consideration ?

I just saw the OcUK Watercooling guide, I will quickly read it :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply!

Yep you are right, I will have a look for the cheapest 5700XT and also the related waterblock. (There is no point to pay £20 less on a GPU, if the waterblock cost £50 more lol).

For the GPU I will stay with Intel, just because the compatibility is better with Hackintosh. Also I already have a Ryzen 5 3600 , so I'm kind of aware :)

About the case, I will check the different build and review.. I mainly take that one because of the clean and aluminium design, and I saw paradigm making a nice nice build with it (link)

I like Lian-li in general, but I'm not a huge fan of their latest cases... I was more looking for something "different/original".. I was also thinking about the NZXT CRFT, but the model I was looking for is not available anymore (Nuka Cola)

Associate
OP
I didn't plan yet to overclock, the watercooling it's mainly because I'm interested about it and I would like to learn a bit more with some practices :)

For the Aorus, I will think about it, but at the moment I will stay with Asus. (I never had any issues with Asus during 10 years so..)

Also do you have any recommendations for :
  • A Pump
  • A Reservoir
  • Waterblock CPU
  • Fans
  • Radiator
  • Tubing
  • Fittings
For the Waterblock CPU I saw in the guide, the EK Supreme.. but the guide was write in 2011, so it might be obsolete :confused:

Because I'm cooling GPU + CPU, I believe I will need 2 radiators, is that correct ?

Associate
OP
Thanks. it's exactly what I was looking for !

I think everything should be fit in Rajintek asterion classic... But I have taken in consideration your comment and also 'm afraid that the side windows might be a bit too dark :-/ But I very like that design.

Also do you know the name of "tool" that help to make a 90° on the tube ? I also saw a video, where the tube was rigid, and they needed to heat it as well ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey WantoN,

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful, specially for a newbie like me in watercooling :D

1. After reading a lot of reviews about the Rajintek Asterion, it will be a no for me.
-> Front fans have no access to fresh air (not great for the Radiator/fans)
-> Window tint pretty dark

So I might go for the MSI Sekira 500. I very like the design, and it seems there is plenty of space for the watercooling/radiators :-]

2. Fan control : I think it's a great idea, I will have a look for this.

3. I was kind of scared with EK, because I tried to compare corsair/EK, I saw few thread about leaking with EK :confused:

4. For the tube/fluid, yeah I was more thinking to go with hard-line tubes and a coloured fluid :rolleyes: If already I make a water-cooling, I would like something very aesthetic.. Otherwise I will probably think about the Corsair h150i (simple and cheaper ? but I dunno in term of performance)

5. In general, how much will cost a good water-cooling ? I was thinking around £400, £500 ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom