Fitting air cooler to Asus 99 Deluxe Motherboard

grn

grn

Associate
Hi all,

Hopefully an easy answer here. Quite a few ears ago I built a tower system with water cooler but the water cooler gave up the ghost. I decided to replace it with an air cooler and also replaced the motherboard with a newer Asus 99 Deluxe. However, I am trying to fit the cooler and the holes in the motherboard to hold the cooler backplate seem to be filled with something, not sure what, but it looks like it might be black cardboard. Not sure if I can just poke these out but if not, how do I fit the cooler backplate?

Propbably just beeing dumb but thought I'd ask you guys first.

Thanks in advance,

George

Soldato
Don't think you need a back plate as the cooler mounts should screw into the front plate as in this video.

What cooler have you got?

EDIT

What CPU have you got as the X99 and X58 in your sig are totally different.

Last edited:

grn

grn

Associate
OP
Yeah, the sig predates the system I have now. The mobo was an Ausu x99 Deluxe but the water cooller I had blew up and there were isuse with the mobo, so decided to get a replacement X99 Deluxe mobo. The cooler is a CoolerMaster H412R. I look at quite a few videos but all were coolers for Ryzen processors. I have since found info for an Intel cooler and know I don't need the backplate.

Many thanks for your response. I appreciate ou taking the time to respond.

George

grn

grn

Associate
OP
Hi and thanks for the info. I actually have the H412R manual in front of me now, dowwnloaded yesterday from the Cooler Master site. The first page lists the contents and for Intel CPUs it lists:

5. Intel - LGA2066/2011-v3/2011/1366/115x/775
6. Intel - LGA 1388/115x/775
7. Intel - LGA 2066/2011-v3/2011

No idea why the info for LGA2011-v3 is repeated twice but clearly the H412R appears to support my CPU socket. The link you gave me does say that 2011-v3 (among other sockets) will not be supported through the New Package Design but mounting kits for my CPU can be obtained through the CM store.

So one way or another I will be able to fit the cooler.

However, it does explain the difficulty I was experienceing.

Many thanks,

Georgee

Soldato
The Backplates aren't removable (or meant to be) on X99 boards i had an Asus workstation one and a gigabyte one. you could just screw on any compatible cooler really easily, you are probably just missing the relevant x99 standoffs/brackets

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom