Fittings sizing?

Associate
Hi in the market for some more compression fittings for flexible tubing.
Think ones have are 1/2"? as so long since got them and other bits forgotten what got/have!!!

tubing is XSPC Highflex hose clear/UV
15.9mm odx 11.1mm id. 5/8" od X 7/16" id
Pretty sure that's tubing using as measures similar OD don't remember getting any other tubing and this bag was 2 meters

So what fittings would be good?

Man of Honour
You need to match the fittings to the tubing so as you have 7/16" tubing you need 7/16" fittings. One thing I will add though is that I used to use that XSPC tubing and it's bloody terrible for leaching plasticiser and gunking up the loop. I found that Mayhems tubing is the best soft tubing I have used and it's also extremely cheap.

Associate
OP
You need to match the fittings to the tubing so as you have 7/16" tubing you need 7/16" fittings. One thing I will add though is that I used to use that XSPC tubing and it's bloody terrible for leaching plasticiser and gunking up the loop. I found that Mayhems tubing is the best soft tubing I have used and it's also extremely cheap.

Hi cheers yes just been bashing my head in OC website and did see that tubing. Do i go 16/11 or 16/10 though?
Don't think i have any spare of the fittings using to measure with Vernier gauge? i guess would go with widest part inside fitting(Barb)
Fittings have are EK Silver looking not the low slot type but have a decent base to get grips on if need to hold!

But if i was to rehash whole loop what would be the best tubing/fitting sizes would you suggest or is what i have ok?

got 120mm rad TFC thing thinking of adding into loop think xchanger? Also got an EK D5 and clear top it's pwm one are they as powerful as the vario with control on rear as there 37watt and this is 30 watt? which thinking of mounting to mobo tray and rather than take existing fittings off pump get some others.

Other rad been toying with! is the monsta rad could shoehorn a 360 in the lid"just" wondering what it would give over this EK 360 think XTX? Gives me about 65mm on casing

Might add GPU into loop as found a unit for 970 Think was Alphacool?

Man of Honour
16/11mm is 7/16" although I use Mayhems 16/10mm tubing with 7/16" compression fittings (already had them from when I used 7/16" tubing) and while the collar of the fitting is a very tight fit over the tubing it does tighten up and is never going to come off or leak. If you want a easier time of it get matching 16/10mm fittings. I will never use any other tubing than Mayhems these days as it's excellent stuff and there really is no need to pay any more.

The pwm D5 should be fine and plenty on here use the pwm version. If mounting to metal though I would get a decoupler set to prevent any vibration/noise being passed to the case. I have a Alphacool VPP655 (D5 vario) sitting on a piece of sponge running at full speed and it is completely silent so removing the chance of the pump passing any vibration/noise to the case is very worthwhile.

I wouldn't replace a XTX360 with the Monsta 360. If you look at this review of the XTX360 it out preforms the Monsta in every test apart from push/pull fan configuration at 750rpm and even then it only just get's beaten. I think the XTX360 would handle the cpu and gpu fine but if you have a 120mm TFC Exchanger sitting around you may as well add it to the loop for some extra capacity.

Associate
OP
16/11mm is 7/16" although I use Mayhems 16/10mm tubing with 7/16" compression fittings (already had them from when I used 7/16" tubing) and while the collar of the fitting is a very tight fit over the tubing it does tighten up and is never going to come off or leak. If you want a easier time of it get matching 16/10mm fittings. I will never use any other tubing than Mayhems these days as it's excellent stuff and there really is no need to pay any more.

The pwm D5 should be fine and plenty on here use the pwm version. If mounting to metal though I would get a decoupler set to prevent any vibration/noise being passed to the case. I have a Alphacool VPP655 (D5 vario) sitting on a piece of sponge running at full speed and it is completely silent so removing the chance of the pump passing any vibration/noise to the case is very worthwhile.

I wouldn't replace a XTX360 with the Monsta 360. If you look at this review of the XTX360 it out preforms the Monsta in every test apart from push/pull fan configuration at 750rpm and even then it only just get's beaten. I think the XTX360 would handle the cpu and gpu fine but if you have a 120mm TFC Exchanger sitting around you may as well add it to the loop for some extra capacity.

Hi think the Rad is an XTX as thickness seems right as i got it used as a package with fans.

The vario which has an EK Top CSQ thing(Never could get head round daft circles on them!)is sitting on neoprene foam pad in base of case now.

Other pump is EK-Xtop revo D5 PWM has the bracket that goes round pump with a rubber ducky inside which hs two screws you tighten there is also another one in box which has points on the inside to mount somewhere?
But could put an isolator gasket between bracket and tray have some rubber etc around.
Don't have anything to do the PWM with atmo apart from mobo header. one using is on 5.

Do have some fans for monsta rad!!! Delta PFC1212DE's 38mm trouble is they draw 3.24A! "each" and at over 3000 RPM can cause issues! "Next doors Cat stuck to front of PC Grill" lol Shift some air!
Funny thing is they don't actually sound that noisey as the tone is different to most 25mm fans probably in part to do with depth of fan plus motor/pwm.

As running now getting around midd 50's @100% testing on any core. GPU was 46.c in OCCT test the Gainward as a CPU type air cooler away from board https://www.eteknix.com/gainward-phantom-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-review/ mind reading that not blowing doors off pc! is it worth WC'ing it can get kit inc back plate £36
OC do non dedicated Ranjinek GPU block and VRM block as don't have 970 blocks it looks like.

Was looking at some other GPU's other day like a 1080ti/980ti and AMD 390

What i was wondering also is are there tubing/fittings that would be better for flow/temps? if changed them all? as saw some 1/2"-3/4" ones or is there nothing in it and just stick with what i have?
Did look at some fittings looking narrow in nozzle though.

Man of Honour
I have used 1/2" barbs and tubing (many years ago), 7/16" tubing and compression fittings, reduced the copper pipe from my rads (my setup is not your average watercooling setup) from 15mm down to 12mm and have seen no difference in temps at all. I would say it only really makes a difference if you go super thin, below 3/8". Even then I am not sure how much difference it would make as water flow doesn't seem to make that much difference. Probably the biggest cooling effect in a water loop is the fans used on the radiator(s) and the radiator(s) itself.

Associate
OP
I have used 1/2" barbs and tubing (many years ago), 7/16" tubing and compression fittings, reduced the copper pipe from my rads (my setup is not your average watercooling setup) from 15mm down to 12mm and have seen no difference in temps at all. I would say it only really makes a difference if you go super thin, below 3/8". Even then I am not sure how much difference it would make as water flow doesn't seem to make that much difference. Probably the biggest cooling effect in a water loop is the fans used on the radiator(s) and the radiator(s) itself.

Hi yes always interesting to explore/research what does what! what do you think to water softener? as pretty sure that is whats used in high performance engines as they call it water wetter said to aid heat transfer in cooling system.

Found some Thermochill/cool? rads is 15mm old screw spacings? Do have an Aquacomputer 240 rad here which think is old spacings(Need to measure)has round tubes that can see loops on ends also have silver or black grills was they any good?
Have another Lian Li case PC 60 same size as one i have just narrower and "80mm" fans which will mod ie chop back out and use 120mm and maybe put fans in base drawing upwards would have to put bigger feet underneath it though!. would be limited for roof space as psu is top rear.

Have a few 775 boards to play with EVGA 680i and ASUS formula rampage

Man of Honour
Waterwetter, now that brings back memories. That's what we used to use as a additive back when pc watercooling was in it's infancy and we were using heater matrix's and even car radiators. There was another additive we used to use back then as well but I can't remember what it was called now. All I can remember is that it really smelt awful. If you have a 15mm fan spacing Thermochill then it was the revised model that used the standard fan spacing. Still used poxy G3/8" inlet/outlet ports though!! If I remember right the original had 25mm fan spacing. I have one in my cupboard and they are cracking radiators.

Associate
OP
Waterwetter, now that brings back memories. That's what we used to use as a additive back when pc watercooling was in it's infancy and we were using heater matrix's and even car radiators. There was another additive we used to use back then as well but I can't remember what it was called now. All I can remember is that it really smelt awful. If you have a 15mm fan spacing Thermochill then it was the revised model that used the standard fan spacing. Still used poxy G3/8" inlet/outlet ports though!! If I remember right the original had 25mm fan spacing. I have one in my cupboard and they are cracking radiators.

Hi no there is a couple on flea bay ive an Aquacomputer 240 here somewhere that came with both grills think that's 15mm? i know has round tubes as can see at ends

Back
Top Bottom