Five-year-old boy banned from church playgroup because he likes to wear princess dresses.

Soldato
<insert lots of other examples of things that children really want to do>

I'm pretty sure we had a thread the other week about a parent who lets their kids eat ice cream at breakfast and all other bad food plus she lets them do anything they want including staying up into the late hours on a school day and there was a right backlash about it AND SO THERE SHOULD BE.

Probably most males on here have been forced into dresses at one point and there's going to be some who carried on and kept it hidden which is no problem at all but buying a 5 year old over 100 dresses and 8 pairs of high heels is just wrong. I've bought my kids up educating that there is nothing wrong with gay people, transsexuals or cross dressers etc but what that woman is doing in the OP is just plain wrong.
There is a difference, in that the things you cite will certainly harm the child. Ice cream at breakfast (in excess quantity) is not good for nutrition. Staying up very late on a school day i.e. not getting sufficient sleep also has negative health and development impacts. Allowing the boy to wear dresses (though the 100 thing seems a bit excessive) only has the potential to encourage harm because of other people's perceptions of him.

Soldato
It's the number of dresses that's the concerning thing for me, also the high heels. I don't really think any children should be wearing high heels outside of messing around with the ones from mums (or dads ;)) room at home.

Soldato
<insert lots of other examples of things that children really want to do>

I'm pretty sure we had a thread the other week about a parent who lets their kids eat ice cream at breakfast and all other bad food plus she lets them do anything they want including staying up into the late hours on a school day and there was a right backlash about it AND SO THERE SHOULD BE.

Probably most males on here have been forced into dresses at one point and there's going to be some who carried on and kept it hidden which is no problem at all but buying a 5 year old over 100 dresses and 8 pairs of high heels is just wrong. I've bought my kids up educating that there is nothing wrong with gay people, transsexuals or cross dressers etc but what that woman is doing in the OP is just plain wrong.

i agree - this will harm the childs development imo.

Soldato
Why not? Who is it harming?

Given a five year old has no economic output, and the parents are not just supporting but actively buying these items for the child, it is right to ask these questions. So what is harmful

High heels aren't insane because 'they are feminine'. They cause all sorts of biomechanical problems including bunions, shortened tendons and abnormal gait. They are prohibitive to free movement; you can not run jump climb drive or even stand on grass in them. That's bad enough for any grown women, but on the body of a developing child when bones are supple and mostly cartilage, I would be seriously conscerned about causing long term phisological harm.

Back
Top Bottom