1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing leaking shed roof

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Gentwee, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Gentwee

Gangster

The roof is made from shiplap boards and in a couple of places the boards have separated and there is now a few mm gap between them (same on the walls too, yay). Whats the best way of sorting this?

I was thinking of just sticking some sealant in the gaps and them re felting with some decent felt (Iko Super Shed felt). Would this work?

2. samcat

Wise Guy

Fill the gaps with something.

Dont use felt, its crap. Get some EPDM rubber and do the job properly, will probably outlast the shed and wont cost much more than felt!

3. Gentwee

Gangster

Ill look into EPDM, thanks.

4. Telecaster

Mobster

First question is what condition the shed is in? if it's still solid and worth spending the money on then rubber roof is the way to go, if you just need to keep it going until you can afford a new one then a cheap layer of felt will do short term.

Or you could do what I did which was buy a tarp big enough to cover the roof and batten it on, lasted longer than any felt and was as good as the day it went on when I took it off, was even a fetching green colour that blended in well.

5. Gentwee

Gangster

The shed is definitely worth it. It just has a few issues to be sorted. I've ordered some sealant and a new rubber roof which should help keep it all dry.

I'm going to pull off all the old **** felt, fill the gaps from the inside and outside with sealant; then fit a tarp temporarily so that any wet bits can dry off.

6. richieboy

Wise Guy

Where did you buy the rubber roof from if you don't mind me asking? Need to sort my roof out also and looks like this stuff is the way to go.

7. Gentwee

Gangster

8. richieboy

Wise Guy

9. Gentwee

Gangster

I got the gear on time and it looks good (AFAIK). Haven't been able to install it yet so can't comment any further yet.

10. Iron-man

Hitman

I'm interested to know how it went as I have a shed roof to do myself

11. Windle

Capodecina

Just reroof it? Did mine, couple of hours work and some new wood.