Fizzy drink on BMW idrive console

Associate
Wife dropped a fizzy drink on the centre console (with the dial near the handbrake) and whilst it all seems to be working the controls are now.. sticky!

Any thoughts on how to clean this up?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Was it red or white fizzy?

Oh wait, that's not going to work is it. Autoglym glass cleaner, works on everything ever.

Caporegime
Problem is it's underneath the controls and they don't look obvious to remove - are they?
Quick google return....

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266881

That’s for an i3 but I’m sure you can find the relevant information for whatever model yours is.

That part is shared on the f01 and f10 and probably others.

What would worry me is how much has got inside, it may work for now but sticky liquid, time and dust will eventually bork it guaranteed.

Soldato
Not too bad to remove it, at least on my F30. Pull the trim up then unplug the cable and it’s 3 screws to undo the entire controller.

When I spilt Pepsi Max all over my Mondeo’s heated seat controls it started doing some weird things like unresponsive buttons and flickering lights. I sprayed a whole load of contact cleaner into it which did at least stop it sticking and made the passenger side work again. In your situation I’d use some contact cleaner, it won’t harm the electronics and it evaporates quickly so get some and spray away :)

Worst case is you’ll need a new iDrive controller but a used one from eBay isn't too expensive really.

Soldato
Foam cleaner the crap out of it. People use it for cleaning all kinds of IT stuff.

Did it get deep inside the console itself though? Because that might stink when it goes rotten.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update:

Bought WD Contact Cleaner which I sprayed all around the console + used a nozzle to spray into in through the gaps and it’s worked wonders. Completely back to normal, no stickiness and all working perfectly so good call on that stuff!

Back
Top Bottom