FLASH! Aha....

Soldato
How to get across a song theme in two words... I think I failed.

In any case, slowly (and expensively) whittling down items to buy. Credits cards up, but hey, who gives a $%^&!

There's not much left I want now. I'm not buying any more lenses til next year, as more than got everything covered for any needs I may have til then.

But I want a decent flash.

Ok, I really want a ring flash and a decent "regular" flash, but it can only be one or the other for now, so regular flash it is, and hopefully will come in handy at times for Macro.

Just not sure how much to spend. But don't want cheap that I might want to replace in a couple of months because there's some feature I want, or I got something not powerful enough.

What am I using it for? Well, who bloody knows right now. I'm experimenting with anything and everything and seeing what sticks!

So:
Metz 44 AF-1 (though no high speed sync, so not hugely likely)
Metz 52 AF-1
Sony HVLF43AM
YONGNUO YN568EX TTL for Canon with adapter for Sony

Any opinions?

Soldato
What camera is it for?

I'm a total novice when it comes to the flash arena, but recently bought the 600 ex-rt and I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with how it works. My previous experience with flashes was nearly 30 years ago with my dads when he used to shoot black and white portraiture, and that was far more difficult back then :D

Soldato
OP
Sony a65.

Problem I have with Sony right now is they are in process of changing to a more standard hot shoe, but there are adapters for going from standard to Sony, and vice versa, so guess I shouldn't worry too much.

Don't think I will be paying quite soo much as you did for the 600 ex-rt :)

Metz 52 AF-1 costs £200
Sony HVLF43AM costs £200
YONGNUO YN568EX TTL Costs £125

Soldato
Ah righty. I don't know anything about the other flashes (and little about mine :D) so someone else will have to come along with advice :)

Soldato
OP
No worries. Thanks anyway.

Ewww, just noticed still got link to my Samsung nx blog in sig. That will need removing when get to pc.

Soldato
I owned both the HVL-42AM and Metz 48 AF-1 and both performed flawlessly however if I was to pick one I'd be tempted to stick to the Sony because I found the battery life much better.

Soldato
OP
Decided to go with the Sony HVLF43AM .

Will likely need an adapter by the time the next Sony bodies are out, sadly, but what can one do?

Now, I will just need to find a use for it!

Soldato
OP
First pic taken with my new flash.

Garden Spider by chris_rabe, on Flickr

I can see myself growing to like it, but using a flash is probably the thing I understand the least about photography.

And I really will need to read the manual this weekend.

But I am looking forward to the creative opportunities this will afford me, and got plenty ideas already on how I'd like to experiment with it.

Was amazed at some test shots, how much better it made some scenes look, using bouncing/reflector and diffuser.

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm, had an idea I would like to play with today, but I then realised I would need a wireless trigger for my flash.

The current implementation for firing flash wireless on the a65, is the onboard flash fires off, and the big flash fires off.

But for what I want, I can't have the on-camera flash firing.

Was hoping to be done with spending for a while, but there always seems to be that "one more thing I need to get" :(

Any suggestions?

Associate
Depends what you are trying to achieve and where you are shooting.

Could you deflect the onboard flash so it has no impact on the exposure on your subject, but the bounce is sufficient to trigger the off camera flash?

Soldato
OP
Doesn't look like I really need to worry about the onboard flash firing. It's not nearly as bad as I thought, following advice of someone on dpr forums.

It was more for abstract close-up stuff that I was thinking it would be an issue, but in reality it's a non-issue. So doesn't look like I will need to spend money on wireless triggers. So can save the money towards getting another flash some time in the future :)

Again, not particularly good stuff following, but some experimentation. I can see in my head where I want to go with this kind of experimentation, but as ever, I lack the ability to get what's in my head, out! Perseverance I guess.

Abstract - playing with flash by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom