Flash on Android Tablets

Associate
Need some help here and a tiny favour. I am looking to get an Android tablet because they do flash, as far as I am aware.

However playing with a Nexus today in a store I tried going to this website

http://www.binweevils.com/

However it did not display. Could anyone tell me what if anything needs to be downloaded onto an Android tablet to get that site working. Basically this site and moshi monsters is what will be used and other flash sites for homework use, etc.

SO could you go to that website and see if it does display and what was required for it to work.

Thanks

Associate
OP
ok thanks....prob the guy in store was just not up to speed on how to install flash
thanks so will prob go for the nexus

Soldato
Technically any device running Android 4.1 or above no longer supports Flash.

If you go to the Play store and try and download it on a Nexus 7 or 10 tab then it won't appear. This is because Google have officially stopped supporting Adobe Flash and Adobe in turn have stopped developing it for the platform.

That said, it appears to still be possible to hack flash support into Jelly Bean (4.1) and above. Here is a simple enough tutorial: http://www.itpro.co.uk/641869/installing-adobe-flash-on-android-jelly-bean-devices. Whether you feel comfortable with things like this really is up to you.

I believe that Nexus devices are shipping with Google Chrome as the default browser, this will not (and never will) support the flash plugin, therefore you will also need to replace the default browser with something like Dolphin.

Unfortunately Google is simply taking a stand against Flash and has stopped marketing it as a feature moving forwards. It'll work for a while longer but who knows how long that will be...

Soldato
This is because Google have officially stopped supporting Adobe Flash and Adobe in turn have stopped developing it for the platform.

Google is simply taking a stand against Flash and has stopped marketing it as a feature
Not sure where you heard that.

Adobe stopped making flash for android and other mobile devices, adobe removed it from the market as it was not supported by them on ICS and above. Google have played no part in the decision and are taking no stand on the matter.

Soldato
Well I recall a Google press conference stating that they would not be supporting Flash as a plugin in Chrome on Android, this was as a result of the fact that Adobe were no longer supporting their product on Android, which in turn seemed to be because Google was not supporting Flash going forwards.

Nobody wants the blame, but the bottom line is Adobe will no longer be developing Flash beyond 11 for Android, and technically Android 4.1 does not support the Adobe flash 11 plugin.

Of course, as that link shows, you can hack it in, but who knows how long that will work for as they change the Android kernel.

Soldato
Well I recall a Google press conference stating that they would not be supporting Flash as a plugin in Chrome on Android, this was as a result of the fact that Adobe were no longer supporting their product on Android, which in turn seemed to be because Google was not supporting Flash going forwards.
Again, this is not Android, Adobe stopped developing it for every mobile platform.

Soldato
Ok I'll re-phrase as it seems important.

Adobe is no longer supporting the Android (or any other mobile platform) system with flash. The last version of android to officially be supported is ice cream sandwich. Nexus devices comes with jelly bean or above, therefore officially do not support the Adobe flash 11 plug-in, which will be the last iteration of the software distributed by Adobe.

However, it is possible to hack the Adobe flash 11 plug-in in to a android 4.1 device, as per the link I posted earlier.

Either way, the end result is the same, if you're buying android purely for flash, then that capability well now unfortunately be short lived if you keep your device up to date.

Back
Top Bottom