flash pens as hard disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
(not me thats asking) Why cant we use flash pens as hard drives n take ahrd drives out and use them all the time like just use them always just buy like 40 of them and JAB them all in. This would work, THIS IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!

You can do that I think but USB is slow compared to sata and ide. So it can't really be used for gaming and the storage is much less compared to a normal HDD.

begbo said:
(not me thats asking) Why cant we use flash pens as hard drives n take ahrd drives out and use them all the time like just use them always just buy like 40 of them and JAB them all in. This would work, THIS IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!
:\

They'd be very very slow compared to modern day hard drives, plus a lot less reliable i imagine.

begbo said:
i dont think so, they nt produce less heat 2
Uhm....

You take your HDD and copy a file from one HDD to another HDD, next take your USB pen drive and copy a file from one folder on your HDD to a folder on your USB drive.

Then you can come and tell us all how the HDD thrashed the USB drive in write speed :p

its called a flash pen because its fast like flash gordon.n i tried it in it was zoooomier thn a hard drive! like a zoombat

Err.. the original post is a bit confusing! You obviously can't just 'JAB' 40 flash pens into your computer, as I VERY much doubt you have this many USB ports.. and you would need LOADS of daisy chained hubs to get that amount.

Plus as already has been said, they are slower, less reliable and 40 of them would be a lot bigger than current IDE hard drives..!

Also what does them (being flash pens/drives) producing less heat have to do with the read/write speed!?

;)

There was a pci card released that had 4 ram slots on it and then data was stored to these like a hard drive. This was really quick but obviously very expensive

There was a post before about this... It started windows before the loading bar had come up and searching the hard drive took milliseconds. It takes power even if the machine is switched off, that way it doesn't lose the info. Pretty incredible as an OS drive tbh, though I would like a backup on an HDD incase thers a powercut lasting longer than a USP-thingy can last.

SiriusB said:
And somewhat useless if you ever wanna reboot :p

SiriusB
no not really, if your pc has power even if its off the memoty will still hold the information and anyway if you are on about the gigabyte iram drive it has a lithium battery that lasts 16hours if you have a power cut

on this idea though would be if ya made a special stripped down windows for benching, no internet,themes anything, maybe xp or 2003, have that on a pen drive and just stick it in when ya benching, i know ya can do it with a hard drive now, but would be easier, just to stick a flash drive in the side(wouldnt need to open ya case0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom