Flash

Soldato
Will apple ever support flash player in the foreseen future? For there iPad and iPhones? I should think they get it for iPad soon won't they? Or is there a different browser for iPad we can download that supports it?

Soldato
Sorry talking out of my behind. Tis late.

Power consumption.

Oddly last May year I started writing a white paper about green computing. The net focus was on the use of animation and content that use CPU time (on the client, ether and servers). Multiply that additional CPU time by thousands or millions of users and the resulting power usage is actually quite high.
I was also looking at the efficiency of software in general. My domain I use for business is actually around green computing and efficiency.

Last edited:
Soldato
My understanding is that Flash has not been moved to Cocoa.. PS5 I believe is the first Cocoa Photoshop.. (sorry I edited the post whilst you replied..)

So flash:
a) accessing the hardware as Adobe states = stability and integration issues which conflict with Apple's view on perfection. Nothing like having adobe products (as flash did in safari) crash the application which Apple is not going to allow to risk their money spinner.

b) the VM for flash still requires CPU time. So sitting with a flash ladened web page sucks battery life for no reason as it's playing all the time you're reading the article. Not to mention sites that use flash and do nothing more than deliver static web content. So if 40% of your battery is taken by displaying flash content (mainly adverts).

c) downloading flashed web pages results in slow experience to the user. Mobile data rates are slow and restricted by user's download caps (would you be happy if you lost 40% of your limit to web page adverts that you don't even look at).

d) It's not an apple technology. Apple, like MS and Google are attempting to make a technology vertical - both for control and for optimisation for mobile devices.

e) Flash = adverts. iAd = adverts. To force advertisers to take up iAds not stick with Flash as Apple doesn't make money out if it.

Probably some more but it's late.

Last edited:
Associate
Apple are trying to move to HTML5 which will support h264 video in place of Flash video. The result is more reliability and better power consumption. ATM adoption to HTML5 could take a couple of years.

Soldato
Flash intrudes on Apple's territory to an extent with regards to applications. I don't know much about this since I have hated flash since people begun using it for flash ad banners, so I rarely use flash content aside from YouTube/Vimeo.

Flash on my uMacbook scares the hell out of it. CPU temps soar and it feels massively un-optimised.

It'll even fare worse on the iPhone and virtually any mobile device without half decent coding geared towards power saving. The GPS and 3G modules already nom a lot of power, so I am glad flash isn't happening on the iPhone. The last thing I want to see is flash ads on pc hardware websites that I visit in safari :/

At work under MoD orders, we have recently been told to ditch FF/Chrome/Opera for security purposes and use IE8 on our XP based machines. The past week has been a truly horrifying experience browsing the web without adblock - all my pc hardware sites are littered with ads everywhere :(

Last edited:
Associate
No they won't.

But I dont see what the fuss is all about with flash, I can take it or leave it. It's very rare I go on a site and can't use or see it properly on my phone or pad.

Soldato
At work under MoD orders, we have recently been told to ditch FF/Chrome/Opera for security purposes and use IE8 on our XP based machines. The past week has been a truly horrifying experience browsing the web without adblock - all my pc hardware sites are littered with ads everywhere :(

Key loggers, trojans etc are all possible vectors to penetration but you'll not be using those machines on a restricted network anyway.

Back
Top Bottom