Flat earth brigade - I have no words

Soldato
Nope its the attractive forces between particles, gravity is related to mass. Bigger the mass the greater the gravity. ;)

i don't really know what you are trying to say - the planet sticks together because of gravity.
The other forces are strong but short range so have no real effect on that scale.

Soldato
i don't really know what you are trying to say - the planet sticks together because of gravity.
The other forces are strong but short range so have no real effect on that scale.

iirc it gets a bit confusing, i recall they were doing microgravity experiments to determine what happens in the phase between inter-molecular forces doing the sticking, and there being enough mass for gravity to do the work.

somewhere around a grain of sand if i recall correctly.

Soldato
Take a big ball of iron or steel and a pin on a string, the pin will stick to the ball if close enough.

Particle forces of attraction. ;)

Man of Honour
Nope its the attractive forces between particles, gravity is related to mass. Bigger the mass the greater the gravity. ;)

I'm guessing that's one of the "explanations" Flat Earthers have concocted to pretend that gravity doesn't exist. Of course it doesn't make sense, it's not even internally consistent and it relies on ignorance and confusion.

The ignorance is regarding the effective distance of attractive forces between particles, which in reality is subatomic. The confusion is between actual forces of attraction between particles and the fictional forces of attraction between particles that you jokingly refer to. The lack of internal consistency comes from the fact that even if it was true (which it isn't) it wouldn't support flat earth nonsense. Their problem with gravity is that gravity would almost always make planets spherical and that gravity wouldn't work on a flat planet in the same way that it works on Earth. Attractive forces between particles that worked to the same extent as gravity and on the same distances as gravity would, of course, have those same effects as gravity does.

Soldato
Everything spins from planets to galaxies to particles, its the way the universe and the solar system works.

No spin no win. lol :p

Soldato
If the earth was flat I would live on the edge, unfortunately its not.

Also if it was flat what would it look like on the edge? Black, blue, space, mind boggles. lol

Planets spin for a reason, to keep them circular and intact otherwise they would disintegrate into dust.

How fast does an object need to spin in order to keep it intact?
The Moon spins very slowly, yet has not disintegrated.

Soldato
But why are they spinning? Why does everything need to spin?

the spin is just a coincidental outcome of how everything was formed, whilst i suppose it doesnt need to spin there are a lot of advantages for us on earth, like the day side not being a burned out wasteland, the night side not being frozen solid, the resultant atmospheric problems leading to massive winds on the day/night terminus that would form the only habitable area.

Caporegime
Watched this last night - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8132700/

I liked the bit where Mark Sargeant (Flat Earth Guru), traveled 1000s of miles to watch a solar eclipse and while it was happening he was just laughing saying it was CGI on the dome :)

I just watched this.

The bit I find most disturbing is when the facts don’t suit them, like the rotation experiment, they seek out other reasons to explain it as opposed to what it actually explains. It repeats with everything else, creating an alternate reality for every already proven fact. When all can be explained with 1, that the earth is a globe.

It’s got to a point like it’s a religion, you just don’t try to prove the god believers there are no god, there is no point as their starting position isn’t science but blind faith.

Back
Top Bottom