Flight sim VR GPU advice

Associate
I’m trying to use Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR with Oculus Quest 2 connected to PC by cable. The PC is one I built myself (and I’m the last person on Earth who should be building PCs) When it runs I love it. But I think my graphics card is letting me down and the framerate is poor and it stutters a lot of the time. On task manager it shows the GPU at 100% most of the time.

My system -

MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI

32 GB RAM

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060

Windows 10

I have two questions:-

What would be a good graphics card to improve performance? I have a budget of up to £1k (maybe a tiny bit more if it will make a noticeable difference)

Do I need to think about upgrading the motherboard or will that do the job? In other words, is that motherboard affecting performance.

Thank you so much.

No need to upgrade mobo as it's a x570 so is a current mobo.

Cheapest option is to get an nvidia FE card if wanting to upgrade. Unfortunately, last drop was last night, so doubt they'll be another this month but you never know.
Download telegram on your phone, follow link to join FEPartAlert. worth setting up an account 1st to make payment smoother.
https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEii3xT81U1A6tLjrQ
Drops happen anytime, and last night they sold out within 5 mins( I think quicker) but it is possible. I'd aim for something like a 3080FE as you have a 2060 at the mo. It's £645..aib versions atm are all over £1200 odd
You should get a decent price for your current card £350 upwards if you look on auction site, so will be a decent upgrade. you should be able to play with the lesser cards as they're still a jump up from the 2060, but check out some youtube vids first.

Just bought the quest2 for my son but haven't tried hooking up to my pc yet, need to get cable and try it

Last time I looked around £1k bought you a RX 6800 - RX 6800XT.

If you sold the GTX2060 then an vanilla RX 6900XT or 6900XTXH become options.

TB based on this article, all modern cards a 3070 or above give similar performance. But my vote would be a 6800 XT for availability/pricing (you can actually get them for £1100 retail) and VRAM. 16GB will give you a lot more flexibility when it comes to add-ons.

However if you can get a 3080 FE on the next drop, that would be ideal. It's tough though and it seems the 3080 10GB is EOL, with the 3080 12GB costing a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom