Flights and babies.

Caporegime
OK, real talk for a sec. If you've made the decision that taking a child under 1 on holiday is the right decision then you will face people who (1) hate you, (2) don't care, or (3) think your baby is cute. Broad brushstrokes, obvs. The thing is, it doesn't really matter. Babies cry and then sometimes they don't. You might get lucky, you might not. It's a short period of time in most people's lives so even if it all goes Pete Tong then apply the "well, so what?" test. So what if darling progeny screams like a * for 5 hours solid? So what if they fall asleep, look cute, and are generally rad as heck for 5 hours solid?

Make your decision. Deal with it, rock and roll.

Soldato
OK, real talk for a sec. If you've made the decision that taking a child under 1 on holiday is the right decision then you will face people who (1) hate you, (2) don't care, or (3) think your baby is cute. Broad brushstrokes, obvs. The thing is, it doesn't really matter. Babies cry and then sometimes they don't. You might get lucky, you might not. It's a short period of time in most people's lives so even if it all goes Pete Tong then apply the "well, so what?" test. So what if darling progeny screams like a * for 5 hours solid? So what if they fall asleep, look cute, and are generally rad as heck for 5 hours solid?

Make your decision. Deal with it, rock and roll.
mags with a 100% spot on post......somethings afoot i tell you. :p

Soldato
well...I don't. I pay for the flight. the wailing brat just happens because some idiot parent drags their spawn on the same plane.
who's the real idiot though? the parent(s) for wanting to go on a nice holiday with their child or perhaps flying because they have no option or the traveller who doesn't like crying children but doesn't travel prepared to mitigated the sounds of a crying child? i know which one my money is on.

Soldato
No one is going to enjoy a baby crying hours on end, should it happen. Most people ignore it, some might stare letting you know they hate you, one or two may follow you into a dark alley once you land... maybe not.

I wasn’t aware of the whole baby thing at the front of the plane, probably because I’ve never flown with a baby myself and probably because it isn't widely known to the rest of us. It doesn’t really make things much better though, everyone will hear it.

Personally at that age I would leave the baby with my parents if they were happy to have them. I wouldn’t really see it as much of a holiday with a baby that young mind.

Man of Honour
I tend to be ok with babies and very small children at most places but I went to a fine dining restaurant recently where someone brought a baby, which I thought was a bit much.

Caporegime
Best time to go when they are babies. The are much easier to handle, will sleep most of the flight, you can get a much more relaxing holiday, they travel for almost nothing.

Soldato
I believe the correct procedure is to have the older children misbehave so much that no-one notices the baby. Bonus points for the adults getting drunk and starting a fight. :D

Wife and I avoided foreign holidays when the children were small as just the thought of all the airport faff along with all the baby stuff you have to carry was just a no-no. Centre parcs did well out of us for a good few years. Drive up to your lodge, unload the car and done.

Soldato
Depends how well they settle!

Had a baby a row behind mine flying back from Majorca and was crying when we boarded, the grandmother/aunt was sat in my row and i heard her mutter to her partner when she sat down that she could see people tutting at her (she carried the baby on board). But it settled down just before take off and didn't hear a peep out of it after that.

I think most people can put up with a bit of crying, but if it cries for a solid 5 hours, that'll be enough to wind up even the most patient of people. I guess do all you can to ensure they settle well.

Soldato
Agree that its much easier to take them as babies than as toddlers. Ours slept most of the way albeit short-ish flights and if they are crying then as long as you are seen to be trying to do something to comfort them people tend to be pretty understanding.

Far rather a baby crying who cant really help it than small mobile kids running riot unchecked because parents cant be arsed controlling them.

Soldato
I've used noise cancelling headphones for ages and they are a Godsend for times like this. Now babies aren't a problem any more, little kids behind you kicking your chair though :mad:

Back
Top Bottom