Flights from Oz?

Soldato
Hi guys, Im trying to find the best way of flying back from Cairns to London on 20th March 2007 for 2 people.

The best itinerary Ive found so far is:
Virgin Blue: Cairns to Sydney (3hrs) - £94.82
Virgin Atlantic: Sydney to London (24hrs) - £956.40
Total: £1051.22

That, frankly is an amazing fair considering its flying with virgin (blue + atlantic) for 2 people, the only trouble is the 24 hour flight from sydney to london.

Has anyone ever done a 24 hour flight? I dont really like the idea and would prefer a stop over somewhere, even if for a few hours. Ive tried to find another itinerary but have found nothing that competes with this one in terms of price and quality. Any ideas anyone? We'd prefer not to have to make more than one transfer. if poss.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
From what I can remember they release more flights in January - but I understand that you don't want to leave it that late.

Considering the last time I looked it was £700pp return to Sydney this is really good. Personally I wouldn't have much problem with the 24 hour flight.

BB x

Soldato
I did it via milan and singapore

2 hours in Milan and 2 stop over in Singapore (whilst they steamcleaned the grotty plane)

I swore i'd never go that far again without 1st class seating.

Took me a week to recover it's the most gruelling thing i've ever done.

What about going east via LA? It is not easier/cheaper? Some nice cheap flights to the US ATM.

Associate
nero120 said:
Has anyone ever done a 24 hour flight? I dont really like the idea and would prefer a stop over somewhere, even if for a few hours.
When I was travelling back from Oz, I flew Sydney to London with Qantas (stops briefly in Bangkok, just long enough to buy 200 cigs for <€12 for my granny!.. Qantas are great, they give you loads of food and drink)

On Thursday I left the YHA in bonbi beach, walked to the bus stop, got the bus to the train station, got the train, changed at central & got the train to the airport, got the plane to bangkok (had 6 beers and was sitting beside some one really nice to talk to - with a seat in between us for plenty of room!), got the plane to london, got the train to the next terminal, got my flight to Dublin changed to an earlier flight, then got the bus from Dublin to Dundalk, then walked round to my granny's house. Total journey time (door-to-door): 36hours. The rest of the day was a write off, and I went out drinking for the rest of the weekend. Fun times. It was pretty gruelling but I don't see any better way of doing it... the flight from Sydney to Bangkok and Bangkok to London are long anyway - you might as well get them over with in the one day if you can!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. Am I to understand that the flight would be 24 hours in the air? Would it stop somewhere for re-fueling (it doesnt say on the website)? If it did stop to refuel, do they let people off the plane?

Soldato
24 hours in the air, normally a stop for 2-3 hours at least.

Don't sleep too much the night before flying, watch films on the first leg, walk around the airport a lot and sleep for the 2nd leg. I got 8 hours sleep coming back last time and was in work within hours of landing - felt fresh as a daisy :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I decided to just book a return flight from sydney on singapore airlines (who we are flying out with) as it worked out much cheaper (even booking a virgin blue flight from cairns to sydney as well). Singapore Air all the way! Hope they're good!

Back
Top Bottom