Flights to USA.

Caporegime
Hi all. I'm planning on flying to Oregon this summer to visit relatives and I've just started looking at flights (first time to the USA). There are no direct flights to Portland so I'll have to connect somewhere. My question is where do I clear US customs? At my destination or at the connecting airport?

I think it'll be the connecting airport but wanted to make sure from some of you frequent flyers. If it is the connecting airport how long is it going to take to get through customs? My uncle has said 3 hours is good but most of the flights on places like expedia don't have anywhere near that length of time, more like 45-90 minutes, which makes me slightly nervous.

Don
scorza said:
Hi all. I'm planning on flying to Oregon this summer to visit relatives and I've just started looking at flights (first time to the USA). There are no direct flights to Portland so I'll have to connect somewhere. My question is where do I clear US customs? At my destination or at the connecting airport?

I think it'll be the connecting airport but wanted to make sure from some of you frequent flyers. If it is the connecting airport how long is it going to take to get through customs? My uncle has said 3 hours is good but most of the flights on places like expedia don't have anywhere near that length of time, more like 45-90 minutes, which makes me slightly nervous.

customs and immigration is at first point of landing , 45 mins is not enough , 90 should do it but could be tight depending on airport

return coinnection is ok to be shorter has all formalities are done at first check in

/edit

just checked tickets for my next flight and I have 1h53 for outbound connection ( Chicago )

Last edited:
Soldato
90 Minutes should be fine but depending on what airport it is it might take longer. Also some of the internal transport within an airport is kind of crappy in some places so it would take longer to get to the other terminal.

Associate
If you haven't bought the tickets yet, Air New Zealand flying to LA (then a separate connecting flight to PDX) is by far the best way to fly the 12 hours to LAX. No other transatlantic carrier beats the space (34 inches pitch) or seat comfort (legrests in plain vanilla Economy!), and service/food/inflight entertainment are all top of the bunch according to those who have to fly the route often. The plane that serves London-LA-Auckland is one of the newly refurbished planes so it should make the long flight slightly less unbearable than usual :p

Soldato
I always try to leave at least two hours between flights having been stuck in customs and immigration in a massive queue for long enough that I've missed a flight from Chicago O'Hare to Heathrow on three occasions in the last two years.

Don
ORD is a bloody hopeless place , if you arrive on a connection you usually have to go to another terminal to clear immigration and customs and then back to where you first arrived to get your connection :rolleyes:

Associate
6thElement said:
Surprised me when I had to go through US immigration at Dublin airport.

Me too.
After clearing through US immigration there, Aer Lingus then flew us to Shannon as they "don't have direct flights to Boston from Dublin". If their website had displayed that information, then I would have flown directly to Shannon from Heathrow and skipped a surprise pointless extra flight (that wasn't even mentioned on the tickets or enclosed paperwork). :rolleyes:

Soldato
Rotty said:
ORD is a bloody hopeless place , if you arrive on a connection you usually have to go to another terminal to clear immigration and customs and then back to where you first arrived to get your connection :rolleyes:

I would suggest going to schiphol and get a connecting flight to where ever your going.

KaHn

Soldato
Rotty said:

We flew MCR to Chicago on the way to SFO last year. Ihr 40 to connect and it's a nightmare. We got there and they wouldn't let us on at first, as we all had to stand in the queue to get the fingerprint/photo taken which took forever and of course there's the monorail to contend with as your flight always leaves from the other end of the airport to the one you landed in. We only got through security in time because they put out an announcment asking for us to go to the gate and we went and found a security guard who walked us through the front of the queue. It was tight though, i really thought they weren't going to let us on.

Don
kitten_caboodle said:
We flew MCR to Chicago on the way to SFO last year. Ihr 40 to connect and it's a nightmare.

oh great

I have MCR-ORD-LAS coming up soon with a 1h53 connection :eek:

the only possible saving grace is that we are in business class so we should be first off the plane

Soldato
Rotty said:
oh great

I have MCR-ORD-LAS coming up soon with a 1h53 connection :eek:

the only possible saving grace is that we are in business class so we should be first off the plane

you might not be too bad. We had a disaster with the luggage that meant it came off when it shouldn't, and it was too late to check it in again so we had to traverse the entire airport with all of our cases with us.

Time before that we got through no hassle at all, it's just this fingerprinting visa thing they want to do now, and the fact that as you say, the organisation is terrible, there's no sense to where they want you to go.

Don
My last connection in ORD was a right kerfuffle , our bags tested positive for explosives on some swab test so they proceded to take everything apart for 45 mins before letting us on our way :eek: :p

Don
KaHn said:
I would suggest going to schiphol and get a connecting flight to where ever your going.

KaHn

In truth I have never had a connection that was really tight and it suits me to stick with American Airlines as after a while the frequent flyer program reaaly starts paying off

Don
ScarySquirrel said:
When i went to New York my connecting flight was via Schipol. had no problems, although I was only 12, so can't rememeber much, just remember sitting around with some friends

if I went via schipol I would feel a huge urge to visit amsterdam for at least a few hours and probably end up missing my connection :p

Back
Top Bottom