Fluctuating CPU Temps

Associate
Hi guys just finished my first new system build sine i built my i7-2600k rig a few years ago.
System is as follows
Asus X299 TUF Mk1
Intel i7 -7820x
NZXT Kraken X62
Corsair Vengeance Red LED 32GB Kit DDR4 3466GHz Memory
EVGA GTX-980ti SC+ (from my old rig)
Corsair RM850i
Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD

for cooling I am running
Front 2 x 140mm NZXT fans on the Radiator + 1 x 140mm Silent Wngs 3 (intake)
Base 1 x 140mm Silent Wngs 3 (intake)
Rear 1 x 140mm Silent Wngs 3 (exhaust)
Top 1 x 140mm Silent Wngs 3 (exhaust)

everything appers to be runing ok but i seem to be getting quite high temps when stress testing, although they are fluctuating quite quickly, as you can see from the attached readout from XTU my package temps are fluctuating from the mid 70's to just over 100 9 times within the space of 1 min? It is also showing that i am thermal thottling even though the temps are on the low side when it does and the cpu frequency doesnt appear to change?
has anybody got any ideas? I have reseated my cooler several times now and just changed thermal paste from some old Gelid GC Extreme to Noctua NT-H1.

Soldato
Might be an iffy reading, have you tried other stress tests and other temp monitoring software, do you get the same results?

What sort of max temperature are you getting with things like 3d mark, realbench or cinebench?

Going from 70c to 100c nine times a minute is like a 30c rise and drop every 7 seconds which doesn't seem consistent with a constant high load on the CPU, I'd expect it to rise up to temperature X and stay there until the stress test finishes.

Last edited:
Associate
Without any experience with that particular CPU, my first thoughts are you have no limits set or at least very high limits for some of the Turbo parameters. Effectively it's using the thermal throttle to control the CPU. The combination of "unlimited" and a very high CPU current limit certainly could be causing the issue. I would check with intel what the recommended settings are. You may be able to find optimal settings from other users on the Intel Extreme site.

Back
Top Bottom