Flying to Hong Kong shall I risk the cheap airlines?

Associate
I'm planning to fly London to Hong Kong in March next year. I've found tickets cheap tickets with Air China, Eastern China airlines via Beijing for about £360 return. Is it worth the risk or should I just stump up the £600 to go direct with Cathay? I'm going from London so if I can find a cheap European airline provider I'd rather do that ie Swiss or Lufthansa. I'm taking hand luggage only so they can't lose my baggage.
I don't want to be stuck in Beijing for hours if they cancel the onward flight. Has anyone used the cheaper Chinese carriers?

It will get you there. I've personally only ever flown Cathay on that route, I doubt in economy it is twice as nice on Cathays. It is still like a bus. Less amenities, less snacks, less of everything?

Take your own entertainment and then cross your fingers.
I'm on my own so I'm sure I can rough it for 18 hours. I just don't want to get stuck in Beijing as I'm only away for 7 days and I don't want to spend two days in the airport.

Last edited:
Finnair or KLM is cheaper than Cathay.

I've not had any issues with the above, but tend to use Cathay or Emirates due to the quality of service. I've used Air China couple times but to China not HK.

Its relatively common knowledge different Airlines train their pilots to different standards... Sure the worst is unlikely to happen but it's always good to be aware so you can make an informed decision.
You have something to back up this claim or? Seems like you're just assuming they are 'lesser' because they have China in the name :)

Last edited:
I'm hoping my friend takes me on a street food mission as all my youtube feed is street food videos.

If you are ever short but want a cheap, clean, proper food (not processed), I like Cafe De Coral. You can get rice, veg, roast meats for like £7. It’s a chain that is all over the place.

Last edited:
You have something to back up this claim or? Seems like you're just assuming they are 'lesser' because they have China in the name :)
Not at all, absolutely nothing to do with China, I became aware of it when I flew internally to Indonesia.... I've travelled extensively in and around Taiwan on Taiwanese Airlines like Eva and China Airways.

A fair few BA/Virgin pilots used to highlight this point on Instagram before BA cracked down on social media usage for them.

My point is not all Airlines train their pilots to the same standard :)

Last edited:
Did air china buisness this year and was a very very good experience. Appart from the lounge in Shanghai being awful everything else was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom