Flying to USA

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I’m just packing for my trip to NYC and just got really paranoid about taking spare camera batteries in my hand luggage.

Has anyone ran into any problems with their camera gear while flying to America before?

Getting through security etc

Cheers
Zaf

Soldato
Should be fine, I came back from LA with my entire Phase One setup 10 days ago, 3 batteries in my hand luggage - no problem at LHR, DUB or LAX each way. My pack sometimes gets pulled out for a swab test but I wouldn't class that as "problems" really, literally all camera batteries are well inside the max capacities allowed in hand luggage.

It's laptops they're most worried about, and those Samsung tablets which were exploding (and are banned I believe) - just make sure your laptop is in a separate tray, and whack your camera pack through separately - should be fine, (I've never had any issues and I've flown about 20 times this year with my full setup)

Relax and enjoy your trip :)

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys

I was ok going through security, just had to take camera body out of my bag.

Just in an Irish Bar on Times Square!

Caporegime
Yeah, no issues with taking even a lot of camera gear, although from personal experience your bag will get "random checked" a lot more than without any equipment.

Caporegime
They are doing loads more random checks now anyway.

The only issues flying with camera gear is if you end up in a small regional jet then you will have to gate check your bag. Plus some of the mid-sized single aisle planes have ridiculously small overhead bins so if you board in the last third you might have to gate check anyway. You either have to pack your gear such that you don't mind them put in the hold, or you try and go light and have a setup where the camera gear can be taken out and put under your feet. I take a strong shopping bag with me just in case I have to pull out my camera gear.

Soldato
Flew to NYC in June with all my camera gear, including batteries, in a Peli case which I took on as hand luggage.

Zero problems.

Caporegime
I get my bag checked/swabbed around 30-40% of the time I fly when I’ve got a camera big lens and a couple of normal lenses. When I don’t have lots of equipment I’m never checked.

It literally only takes a minute or two so it’s not an issue, but it’s a little funny when they’re apparently “random”.

Back
Top Bottom