Folding@home News 23rd - 30th July

Soldato
It shouldn't be an issue really, it is an XFX 750W 'XXX' (80+ Silver Seasonic based semi-modular affair) and I am only running one GPU (780TI Matrix Plat)
that is a decent psu, seasonic oem and should have plenty of power you must have something else that is unstable.

Permabanned
Seasonics are quite good from what i have heard. I have got an EVGA SuperNOVA 650w modular and LOVE it, cool, calm and collected haha!

On another note i'm having to pull out until i can get this damn configuration sorted. My cards have decided they don't want to fold any more and the 6970 is saying one WU will take 8 days, and the 7770 is just dropping WU after about 2 mins of having one.

Soldato
Mr taxi , what gpus are you using to get that sort of ppd?

ive been waiting to see what colin does with his projects as im sure I read he ordered 2 980tis!

Associate

ive been waiting to see what colin does with his projects as im sure I read he ordered 2 980tis!

Ozaudio I've had them running for a about 10 days before I came back to India
I was hitting approx 750k PPD with dual 980ti's avg was lower depending on the core unit.

I'm actually quite miffed with myself for taking so much time over my project plans, seriously affecting a regular score from me. I should never have got into Project Logs and stuck with air cooling, things would be so much simpler !

My list of hardware sitting idle right now is ridiculous...

Dual Xeon 14 core / Dual 780ti (Folder rig)
X79 4930k / Dual 970's (In boxes doing nothing)
Z68 i5 2500K / Dual 980ti (Everday use rig)
Dual 680's (In boxes doing nothing)

I have a new EVOLV ATX case waiting for me, so I have a fast and dirty plan to get some points when I'm home. The only other issue I have is I'm now stuck in India for an extra week, then for 4 days of my leave I've got to go away on courses. I'll have like 10 days at home before coming back to work again. Not enough hours in the days for me this leave!
The "Mrs" refuses to let me leave things turned on while I'm away, so its ever harder to get a decent points boost. I even resorted to "hiding" Midas in the garage before so I could leave it on overnight haha the things we do huh !!

My main dilemma atm is the whole Skylake / X99 thing. I decided that X99 is the way to go then I wondered what's the point when I have X79 sitting in a box? Maybe I could paint the heatsinks and use it in my warships build and say to heck with having the cost of another X99 setup. I've seriously spent too much money over the last two years on this hobby ! I doubt I'd see a huge difference from X79 to X99 anyway and considering I technically have X99 already on the Z10PE dual socket board.

Anyone else in such a messed up situation lol ?

Associate

titan x does 45/50k and 2x 780s that do 25/30k

Colin.. dont worry bout what mobo u run just get them gpu`s running they do all the work, i had great plans for my 2 pcs but now dont want to stop them running long enough to do anything to them, i got hanluc hot on my heels on NFS lol, maybe 1 day ill finish my "pc`s on the wall"

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Anyone else in such a messed up situation lol ?

No where quite as bad as you.

I do feel a bit guilty at some of the stuff I have sitting here idle. Especially the 64P rig I bought off Biffa some 18 months or so ago which now that folding have changed isn't in my view cost effective to keep running, yet it's why I am so far up the OcUK folding rank. Time to try and sell off some bits of hardware and lighten the load of a future upgrade me thinks.

I'm at the point that the gaming rig that I now use for BOINC stuff but could fold on if I thought it was viable doesn't seem efficient based on a i7-2600K Z68 platform. I'm torn between Skylake i7-6700K or a Haswell-E 6core CPU system. Distributed computing remains an very strong secondary interest, but gaming is the priority. Decisions, decisions.

Associate
No where quite as bad as you.

I do feel a bit guilty at some of the stuff I have sitting here idle. Especially the 64P rig I bought off Biffa some 18 months or so ago which now that folding have changed isn't in my view cost effective to keep running, yet it's why I am so far up the OcUK folding rank. Time to try and sell off some bits of hardware and lighten the load of a future upgrade me thinks.

I'm at the point that the gaming rig that I now use for BOINC stuff but could fold on if I thought it was viable doesn't seem efficient based on a i7-2600K Z68 platform. I'm torn between Skylake i7-6700K or a Haswell-E 6core CPU system. Distributed computing remains an very strong secondary interest, but gaming is the priority. Decisions, decisions.

Kinda in the same boat, but my gaming is what stops me doing everything else lol. Why don't you use the 64P for BONIC ? Is it inefficient for that?
I was just looking at these riser cables from Li-Heat and had this crazy idea of doing something like that coin miners were doing just to have all my gpu's running again. I'm such an impulsive buyer though, more money than sense haha. Need to come back down to reality soon as my job is looking decidedly dodgy giving the slump in offshore drilling.

Back
Top Bottom