Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 19th July 2007

Soldato
don't get ahead of yourselves people. The chance that they will be running smp 24/7 is slim to none. If they run office hours as a service they'll miss the deadlines - so at best it's two standard clients.

Still better that a P4, and should see a differance on the electric bill :cool:

Associate
Yeah. I will be running a few with SMP over the holiday, but once term time starts, they will be running two standard clients.

Unfortunatly the electricity bill is going to go up. None of those machines are replacing other machines.

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
don't get ahead of yourselves people. The chance that they will be running smp 24/7 is slim to none. If they run office hours as a service they'll miss the deadlines - so at best it's two standard clients.

Still better that a P4, and should see a differance on the electric bill :cool:

Depends, my school and work the machine are left on 24/7

leccy bill is going to be MASSIVE if you run fah on any large number of them :eek:

Soldato
OP
lay-z-boy said:
Depends, my school and work the machine are left on 24/7

leccy bill is going to be MASSIVE if you run fah on any large number of them :eek:
Surely not much higher if they were going to be on 24/7 anyway? Though I guess with cool'n'quiet or whatever they would at least throttle back if they weren't being used.
I'd be interested if anyone has figures of power usage either way.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Surely a CPU running at 100% must use more power than one that idles :confused: Certainly the colling fans have to work a lot harder.

Soldato
rich99million said:
Surely not much higher if they were going to be on 24/7 anyway? Though I guess with cool'n'quiet or whatever they would at least throttle back if they weren't being used.
I'd be interested if anyone has figures of power usage either way.

Not much higher?

You are joking right? :confused:

Soldato
If youre looking purely at the chip, then obviously theres a massive difference in power draw between idle and full load. However, if you take into account the overheads of a full system the power difference between idle and load is much reduced.

e.g. (made up numbers)

CPU idle: 2w
CPU load: 50w

Increase of 2500%

Total System idle draw: 100w
Total System load draw: 150w

Increase of 50%

Those 100w would have otherwise gone to waste had folding not been running.

Soldato
OP
lay-z-boy said:
Not much higher?

You are joking right? :confused:
Well if the thing was running anyway (ie. the whole system) then that's already a huge waste of power - I was asking if anyone had figures of how much more a modern system with cool'n'quiet or something similar uses when at full load compared to what it uses when it's idling.

Obviously it uses more at full load hence the increased temps though that's only the CPU - if the rest of the system is still running the same anyway how much more is used?

Maybe it's just me :p

Soldato
Ok here goes

Watts for whole system - don't include monitor/speaker/printers etc.
Idle - windows desktop
Load - benchmarks (details here)

CPU/idle/idle power management off/load/differance

E6300/119/121/153/34watts
E6400/116/118/144/28watts
X6800/119/124/175/56watts
QX6700/135/144/233/98watts
XE 965/142/142/230/88watts

X2 4600+ EE/119/126/175/56watts
X2 5000+/121/138/199/78watts
FX-62/122/151/230/108watts

Soldato
dont schools get a reduced rate lecci bill during term time??? im sure ive heard or read that somewhere before???

if its anythin like the school i work at there are usually a ton of machines left on every night

Soldato
I have been busy the last few days and redesigned the SMP website.

www.aeternum.co.uk/smp/smp.html

So far I have only done the homepage as I completely re-wrote the XHTML along with the CSS. Will have the rest of the guide up in a few days.

It should work in Firefox and IE with no problems - I haven't seen it in IE7 though [so if someone could let me know if it throws a wobbly :)]

EDIT: It might be slow to load as there are quite a few images. I will try and optimise them further once I am happy with the CSS.

Back
Top Bottom