Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 24th March 2006

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Speaking of QMDs, is there any news on that front, beta testers?
nothing that I can see - one person asked about the progress and was simply given a link to the main news page

at least there shouldn't be too many issues once the new ones are released - it's just a case of working out the science bit so they don't waste all that lovely CPU time

Soldato
There is a new team tiffy!
Well done one and all:)

tcert.php

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Oooh a tiffy.
Not really been paying attention to F@H lately as I've been too busy, but the 4 PCs have still been running it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
No results returned for two days now.
Looks like something has gone horribly wrong chez Bigstan again :(
Why do these things always happen when I'm offshore :confused: there's never any problem with the power or anything when I'm home.

If I can't find anyone to check things out, all will be quiet until I get back on Friday :(

Stan :)

Soldato
I think I need to fire up another couple of threads as Duggyruss is getting too close for comfort.

Any news on the QMDs? - I'm running 50ppd per thread here as opposed to 500 on the QMDs.

[Heretical Thought]It almost seems like a waste of electricity[/Heretical Thought]

Associate
Welcome to all the new members this week and thanx to rich for more spiffy news.

Ill be glad when the QMDs come back. The wa things were going i would have hit the million mark next weekend.
Oh well. Mind you, i do still have 16 P4s cruching BBC CPDN.
When does that end?

Soldato
OP
This is still the latest news on QMDs that has been announced...

2/27/2006 QMD update
Our first round of analysis is still underway, so it looks like QMD's will be out for at least one more month, but likely longer. Unfortunately, these sorts of estimates are hard to make and if something new (and often interesting science-wise!) comes up, this could easily take much longer still.

I guess we're probably looking at a good few more weeks at least :o
At least it would seem that a longer delay should mean they've found something good science-wise :)

Soldato
Nah. I only had a couple of threads running and they all had 56 pointers on them. I've started up four more threads which will give me 12 threads again.

12 x 50ppd = 600ppd. That'll have to do until the QMDs return.

But I would like to know what hardware he's running as he's dumping 3 WUs per day (sometimes 6) with only 3 machines and those are 150point WUs.

Whatever they are, they are potent.

Last edited:
Associate
I finally found time to fix the two computers that were playing up and gettins some decent WU again. Im not sure if i want to keep my computer switched on unatteneded for the next week though. Do many people here leave there computers switched on for 2weeks at a time or more without being able to check up on it?

Permabanned
Well, depending on whether I can be bothered to take my PC home over the easter holidays, I think it's safe to say that my production will pretty much stop for the next four weeks.

Should be back in action after about the 24th of April.

Man of Honour
Soldato
aceface57 said:
Do many people here leave there computers switched on for 2weeks at a time or more without being able to check up on it?
I do and have minimal troubles with them. If you're concerned about them, set up Windows remote desktop or SSH so you can take a look at what they're doing from a remote location. Learn from Bigstan's mistakes, use a UPS. ;)

Associate
aceface57 said:
Do many people here leave there computers switched on for 2weeks at a time or more without being able to check up on it?

Yep. I leave my main ones all over the summer hols as well.

Good idea about checking up remotly billy, but i wouldn't use remote desktop. Instead i'd use LogMeIn. Much more secure.

Back
Top Bottom