Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 27th January 2006

Associate
I have had a really great week.
1920 this week... illegal stuff removed

Compare that to last week... when 24/7 folding at full tilt only got me 920, and the week before when pretty much the same got me 200.

I think the current downward trend in the teams ppd and my wacky luck with WU's self destructing and 50 pointers for weeks on end are somehow related. That and Sammy's absence... which looks to have been going on for a week and a half now.

Man of Honour
Soldato
MajorPart said:
Seems were down nearly down 14000 from trend in the last week.. not looking good.

Uh oh. I saw this over at the official forum
Vijay Pande said:
We are in the process of building new QMD projects. In order to do so, we need to complete our analysis of the existing QMD data -- the current QMD projects have gone quite a long time and built up a very nice data set -- so we have stopped assigning new QMD's as we analyze the existing data set. These projects have been running for almost 1 year, so we have a huge set to examine!

We expect the analysis to take at least a few weeks (and potentially longer, depending on what we find). The upshot will be that we will be moving to second stage QMD WU's, which is very exciting to us. Thanks to all who have contributed on QMD projects and we'll make an announcement on new QMD projects once we're further along.

Linky: http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?p=121186#121186

That is not good news for those OcUK folders who depend on a constant stream of 250+ ppd WUs to maintain current production levels.

Soldato
Ahh, nice find. Makes better sense now.

Looks like we're dependent on the 364-pointers for the best PPD now, and they're really rare right now. Other than that, there's still a few DGromacs around which aren't bad...

At least it's only a few weeks.

Associate
Seems to be the case, Currently i have 3 Gromacs at 36-39 each and one piddly GB Gromac at 118... Never seen one of these 364 pointers :mad:

Anyone heard from Sammuel?

Last edited:
Associate
BlackAqua said:

I can only find a fragment of the log in F@H_prev.log or similar. (However it is the server assigning the work unit)

http://blackaqua.com/fahlog.txt

It was worth 600 exactly

Posted: Today at 05:18 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This log only show that the first 10% of the wu have been done, it's not finished and not returned to the server.

Can you tell him they have a record of it being uploaded and the fact I cant find that bit in the log now? It was over 2 WUs ago. :D

Soldato
Plasmoid said:
Pity about the QMD's, but this will effect everyone fairly equally wont it?

You'd think so. But some people on the Folding forums have some pretty funny ideas about equality of points. Even more annoying when I write a great long post about it and when I try to post it a mod has locked the thread! Grr.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I was flame-warring with some blokes on there today about that very thing, Mattus. Feel free to share the post with us.

To Mr. Aqua:
dlucent said:
Thanks for catching this; it seems to be a unique error. In this case the user wasn't credited because the WU was somehow delivered to the wrong data server (VSPMF82 instead of VSPMF89). We're not sure how this happened but it is most likely a client-side problem. We have incremented BlackAqua's credit this time. It seems to be an isolated occurance since this user has subsequently returned other WUs successfully (for full credit).

-Del & Chris
That should mean that your credit is restored to the correct number. Nobody seems to know why it crapped out but all is OK now. They need to know if you might have used a program like qgen.exe or modified your dueue.dat in any way.
They don't think you're trying to cheat or anything but they need to know to be sure. I suspect the answer is no becasue I've never seen qdat mentioned on this forum before.

Last edited:
Soldato
My actual post has vanished, but the thing I found particularly ridiculous was the suggestion that AMD systems should get a 25% points penalty because they are 25% faster. Arbitrary 'punishments' because an AMD 3200 is faster than a P4 3.2 at Folding are totally nonsensical. Points should be awarded based on actual work done and the resources used to do it, not on the ratings AMD and Intel give their CPUs. How can you give different systems different points for doing the same work? The whole system would fall to pieces.

There are also people suggesting a '1 point for each WU' system. Even with SETI Classic, where all the WUs were roughly the same size, people complained at being hard done-by under this system when they happened to get a slightly bigger WU. To implement it in Folding, where some units take ten times longer to crunch than others, would cause uproar.

The system isn't perfect but I can't believe that people are seriously considering these suggestions.

Associate
My absence

Unfortunately I am in the process of re-installing 400+ machines. When I do this Folding@Home will be removed from the machines and never put back on.

I am having some problems with the Head of ICT here,who has the mistaken belief that F@H causes machines to crash. He did this to me with S@H Classic a few years back too. Unfortunately I'm at the stage where I'm removing it and never putting it on so I can shut the #£$@:!" up!

Unfortunately the days of me outputting 14Kppd are gone. The only machines that will output now are borgs plus personal machines.

Sorry about this people, having been a victim of cancer twice in three years I thought F@H was a really worthwhile cause, but it seems this troublemaker I work with would rather just complain. It's a pity really has he hasn't had one machine crash on him in the last month either!! :mad:

Associate
If I you, I'd go to the next person above him and tell them the benefits of running folding and demonstrate that it doesn't cause computers to crash.

That way you might have a chance of keeping your borgs going.

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
I was flame-warring with some blokes on there today about that very thing, Mattus. Feel free to share the post with us.

To Mr. Aqua:

That should mean that your credit is restored to the correct number. Nobody seems to know why it crapped out but all is OK now. They need to know if you might have used a program like qgen.exe or modified your dueue.dat in any way.
They don't think you're trying to cheat or anything but they need to know to be sure. I suspect the answer is no becasue I've never seen qdat mentioned on this forum before.

Should have thought about it earlier... I transfered that one (I think, or it may have been the previous WU (~586 points) from my Sempron box to this machine so It would get through quicker (as that box is up on auction) as suggested on the forums here by copying the work folder and core however the other WU pre and post have gone through fine.

I dont know what you mean about qgen.exe or dueue.dat.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom