Folding type rig - What do I need?

Soldato
I'm considering building a dual proccessor rig for folding or something like that, trouble is I don't really know what I'll need other than two CPUs and a motherboard to match.

OK, questions as follows:

CPUs: Xeons? What speed? Cache? FSB? HT?
RAM: ECC? What speed?
HDD: What size?
Motherboard: Everything...

Any reccommendations for these things?

finally internet connection: is it needed at all times?

Also I want to keep this as cheap as possible, will be looking for used/free components.. What is it likely to cost? Don't want to spend more than £150-200 preferably under £100 if possible.

Thanks! :cool:

Soldato
OP
Those 1.6Ghz Xeons, are they 400FSB with 512KB cache?

How big a HDD will I need?

How much RAM will be enough/ideal?

I'm going to try and scrag as much as I can from my college network manager to keep the cost down.

I've not decided what it'll be for yet and seti sounds cool... I thought it had ended though?

Soldato
OP
I've got my eye on a pair or 1.6 LVs, but I need heatsinks. There's not much choice and I need them to be quiet, will passive one's with quiet fans be ok? Something like a Supermicro 1U Passive CEK?

Soldato
OP
PCs are what I do in my spare time (which is a lot) :D

I'll set up BOINC on this PC and go from there. I was thinking of various combinations of things like putting this Pentium-M in my download box, running BOINC on this with the northwood and using the Xeon rig as a main PC. I still have a lot to work out. :o

Soldato
OP
I would do folding, but the SETI team needs all the help it can get.

Do you think my plan of having my P4 dedicated and the Xeon setup run whenever is a good idea? That would mean I could have the P4 running SETI and the Xeon running Folding in it's spare time.

Soldato
OP
Right then, I'll get hold of some stuff (PCH-DL is the likely board) and it seems I'll have to do some thinking and planning for the cooling of these things. Will no doubt be fun though. :D

Soldato
OP
I'll secure the CPUs first, then get the board and some RAM. I have a Hiper Type-R which has dual rails, from what you say do dual rails cause problems?

I'll see what I can get from college tomorrow, tell them it's a medical project.. It shouldn't be too much trouble for the IT guy.

Soldato
OP
Excellent, thanks Billy. The only ones I have found are C1, I've read they don't clock as well but as I can't find an alternative are they worth getting? Also how much should I pay for such CPUs?

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler/Jeff @ Xtreme Forums said:
C1 CPUs are still a great deal at around £45/pair since they will run 2.4GHz to 2.8GHz on average. One thing to note is a few of these C1s NOT run 200MHz FSB, even after increasing core and memory voltage. A good base setting for C1 CPUs after increasing core voltage to 1.6v is 165x16=2640MHz. If you get brave and want to go for 200MHz just remember that this is not guaranteed to work.
:D

I'll get the C1s if they stay below £50 as I can still have fun overclocking them. :p

Back
Top Bottom