folks with Macbook Pro 13" 2020 with intel cpu, can you help me?

Man of Honour
Neither my 2018 15" i7 has it nor does my 2020 M1 Air. I'm fairly certain that it's been replaced with tap to click, but I don't use it personally.

Soldato
It's showing up on my M1 Air too but not my M1 Pro. It's the first I've even heard of this option so I am certain my 2019 16" Pro didn't have it either.

I did some quick skim reading and supposedly it's not been available since 2016 era MacBooks. I have to admit I can't actually tell any difference with it enabled so I wonder if it showing as an option on the M1 Air is a glitch? Or am I just losing it and there is a difference after all?

Edit: There's lots of posts on various forums saying it does nothing on the M1 Air so it doesn't seem to just be me. I'd like to assume it's there by accident, but it still accidentally being there after a year or so of various updates doesn't make much sense to me.

Either way, it seems that your 2020 is not meant to have the option so it seems nothing is wrong with your Mac.

Last edited:
Commissario
When I first got the M1 MBA last year, I remember thinking the trackpad was more clicky than my previous MacBook and far more clicky than my Magic Trackpad. I did some looking around and the general consensus was that the design has changed slightly and that the MBPs didn't have the option but the MBAs did. Turning it off does make the trackpad slightly more clicky but the difference is nowhere near as much as it is on the Magic Trackpad.

Soldato
Ah yes, there is a difference after all. I was holding the MBA up to my ear and clicking with the option on and off and couldn't notice anything, but after putting it down on my desk and trying it out there is a definite difference there, but it's certainly quite subtle.

I did read someone's theory about the smaller trackpad in the MBA being the reason it's there because the taptic engine is (or was) the same on the Pro and it wouldn't have the same effect with the larger trackpad on the Pros. I've never experienced it on the older devices but I have seen a few people saying it did make quite a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom