Following another rider...

Soldato
Could be an interesting discussion, maybe not :D

I took a ride to the South coast today, stopping at Bournemouth first then working my way along to Weymouth for some good ol’ seaside fish and chips :p

I was following another rider down most of the way from Swindon, some guy who passed me in a 40 zone, so I decided I would do my best to stick with him – I can see why some car drivers really hate us! Every single opportunity this guy got to overtake, regardless of whether the vehicle in front was doing the posted speed or not, he’d take it – I’d say that at least 70-80% of his overtakes were very aggressive; sitting right behind cars and cutting back in (after crossing solid lines).

A guy I ride with is similar, but no way as bad, he makes progress but his overtakes are planned a lot more than what I witnessed today.

It got me thinking though, I’m fairly happy to sit behind a car, or queue of cars, so long as they’re doing the posted speed, I don’t mind it being slower, but if someone’s doing 45 in a 60; I’ll be looking for the chance to pass! Sure I do overtake and speed, but the latter is almost always when no one else is around.

I don’t get the mentality of wanting to always push ahead so forcefully, I like a clear road in front of me as much as the next rider, but to be an arse in a crash helmet – no thanks!

Anyone else experience this, or is just because the sun is out and the mothballed riders are back on the roads?

Soldato
But you said you followed him? I'm assuming that made you overtake more aggressively, when you usually wouldn't?

I'm the same lol, I generally won't overtake if I don't feel the need, or unless I'm keeping on some ones tail. Only time I don't is if I feel they're a better rider, or a much more stupid rider than myself, then I'll just let them ride off, weather or not I'm in a group with them.

Soldato
OP
But you said you followed him? I'm assuming that made you overtake more aggressively, when you usually wouldn't?

I followed him, but I didn't keep pace with him during his overtakes - whenever he overtook, I hung back until I considered it safe to go, I was then able to catch him back up fairly easily.

I'm the same lol, I generally won't overtake if I don't feel the need, or unless I'm keeping on some ones tail. Only time I don't is if I feel they're a better rider, or a much more stupid rider than myself, then I'll just let them ride off, weather or not I'm in a group with them.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried to keep pace with another rider or group much, I’m happy to move the bike over to the left and let them fly past me, as I’m usually enjoying the ride too much to be competitive – having said that though, I did have some dude trying to show off to his girlfriend in his Impreza on the way back; he decided to race me as I overtook him (think he deliberately went slow to bait me into an overtake). Eejit :rolleyes:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Guess i sometimes am an ****** then :(

Saturday chasing a Carrerra GT round a sweeping right hander at 145 was probably not my finest hour but was fun.

Also I dont see really see how/why overtaking regardless of the posted speed should be lambasted (aside from the speeding concerns). I just do not want to be sitting behind a car breathing in the exhaust, personally...

Associate
Every bet is taken on its merit, if it is safe to do so then why not overtake (especially if the old girl in front is doing 40 in a 60) but (in the above example) those solid white lines in the middle of the road are there for a reason so expect the odds to catch with you at some point

Soldato
those solid white lines in the middle of the road are there for a reason so expect the odds to catch with you at some point

I'll never ever go over the solid white lines. I'll just pull back into the middle of my lane and get a good position, rather than being in a position ready to overtake.

Back
Top Bottom