Following on from NY in Feb - I've booked to go Las Vegas in November.

In no particular order.
Day 1.
I plan to spend a full day in the grand canyon/Hoover dam, fancy hiring a muscle car and driving there myself. Set off at 6am etc.
It will be cool at that time of day :)

Day 2.
Another day I want to go to Emerald Cave kayaking, so that is two full days outside of Vegas itself.

Day 3.
I want to visit the Shelby musuem as well, that's a 3 hr experience.
Then there is the Atomic musuem, that is a 2-3 hour experience.

Day 4.
I want to do a half day at a shooting range.

Day 5.
Thanks giving day (this is not the 5th day of our trip as I'm not putting these into an real order) This I think will be a more relaxed day, but need to decide where to eat, as I've read that you need to book for anything decent,

Day 6.
Explore the strip

Day 7.
Explore the strip.

We did New York in Feb, and was there for 5 days, and many people said 5 days is more than enough, but we felt it went to fast, and another 2 days would have been ideal.

Last edited:
One thing you can't plan for is the Jet lag! Hope you dont suffer from it too badly. It took me 3 days to be able to sleep until 8am, and last until midnight. First few days i could not stay awake and wanted to go to bed at 6pm, and awake at 3am :(
Trip looks fab, Caesars is nice!

Had flown into Vegas early evening (see the lights) spent day and subsequently drove via dam, stayed at flagstaff and then visited canyon, before flying out from Phoenix;
one of attractions was crossing the desert landscape like you see in old Westerns with the 'it might be hot sign' (need to review where that was on the map )
Think car was a Buick Century - tank of a car.

After having subsequently seen diners, drive-ins , dives .. I'd try and recce restaurants based on some of the places Guy visits,
not sure if you can tour the power generation caverns of the dam with a resevation (never been to dinorwig)

In no particular order.
Day 1.
I plan to spend a full day in the grand canyon/Hoover dam, fancy hiring a muscle car and driving there myself. Set off at 6am etc.
It will be cool at that time of day :)

We did New York in Feb, and was there for 5 days, and many people said 5 days is more than enough, but we felt it went to fast, and another 2 days would have been ideal.

The west rim (west canyon) where the skywalk is etc is not the real GC just part of the GC national park, if you want to have actually been to the GC you need to go to the South Rim, its 4-5 hours each way

It might be sacrilege to say but I did the whole muscle car to GC bit and it was totally underwhelming. It is literally a massive hole in the ground with a visitors centre, so unless you plan on hiking or getting a chopper or whatever, the GC West sky walk is probably just as good. Muscle car to Yosemite was way more fun.

I also wouldn’t underestimate some of the more local scenery around LV like Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire. They are very accessible from LV.

We did the Hoover dam, drive around lake mead to explore the valley of fire. It made for a nice day out.

Taking a plane/chopper to the GC is a better use of time if money isn’t a barrier.

Yeah, that isn't the order I expect it will be done. I did write "in no particular order" for the list.
Fair enough, you may be tempted in any case because of hire car logistics.

When I last looked you could only pick up hire cars on the strip during business hours which rules out doing the GC and back within a single days hire. The selection and availability wasn’t great either as most people just hire at the airport. Admittedly this was pre-covid when I last went.

Last edited:
It might be sacrilege to say but I did the whole muscle car to GC bit and it was totally underwhelming. It is literally a massive hole in the ground with a visitors centre, so unless you plan on hiking or getting a chopper or whatever, the GC West sky walk is probably just as good. Muscle car to Yosemite was way more fun.
Thanks for the tip! will consider it.

although - I think the police on the SanFran yosemite road had many more places to hide , than the vistas near Las Vegas.

... no sunset/sunrise thoughts ?

Totally dependent on what you like in a holiday of course, but personally I'd keep a trip to Vegas to a weekend max. Enjoy.
Whilst each to their own of course, I never understand this viewpoint...

People would never say this about Dubai, which is just a bunch of posh impressive huge buildings and not much to do other than sit on the beach or go to bottomless brunches, sit in hotel complexes. People never say it about going to an all inclusive resort for a week or 2 where you relax by pool in the day, and eat at on site restaurants each evening and watch the resort entertainment. Vegas, you can literally be as chilled out as you want in amazing spa's or lounging at great and varied pool scenes, if you are a foodie it has enormous choice, if you like fun bars it has loads, if you want to gamble then do as much or little of that as you want, if you want shows nearly every hotel has either huge resident artists or great shows like cirque etc. It has superb out door stuff to do out in the desert and weird things to see and do like quirky museums and shooting ranges. On top of that, the vast majority of hotels are extremely good quality and nice places to be. It's just very weird for people to say couldn't do more than a few nights in a place that has the most things to do almost anywhere. It's a weird tacky place that has many pro's and cons but the one thing for absolute sure is there is tonnes to do, see and experience.

@Ace Modder - if you want to spend half a day at a gun range, it will cost you a lot of money. Prices are based on type of gun + number of rounds/ clips and it takes no time at all to burn through bullets. An hour trip will probably set you back several hundred $$ let alone 4 hours. I've been to a place on Flamingo Avenue and been to Battlefield Vegas. Battlefield was overall better as they have super good staff and they pick you up in a an open back military hummer and drop you back off at hotel for free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom