Football and the Coronavirus

Man of Honour
Thought we should have a thread for all of this as it's affecting all competitions quite seriously.

From The Times:

All football matches in England will be played behind closed doors under government plans to combat coronavirus that could be triggered as early as tomorrow.

Season ticket holders can stream games
No games in pubs
No 3pm live games for rest of season

Juventus have announced that Italy centre-back Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus.

The Serie A side said they are "activating all the isolation procedures required by law", including for those who have come into contact with Rugani.

Man of Honour
OP
Justy saying but if they League does get cancelled then we're all going to bomb wuhan and anybody that doesn't come with me is getting permabanned.

In all fairness, comical though it would be, it would be incredibly harsh on Liverpool.

I genuinely don't see what they'll do if sport is suspended for months on end. Not only that, but business in general will end up in a mess, the economy will be in a right state.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm honestly not sure what you can do.

Voiding the season has huge implications, but so does indefinitely postponing it, or continuing on with the current pandemic situation. One way or another, some people aren't going to be happy.

We are weeks away from the peak - which could be months if everyone is successful in the 'delay' phase.

Man of Honour
OP
Is there a realistic chance Liverpool won’t win it though? I just can’t see the league being made void. Although if this drags on for another 2-3 months then options will be limited.

Man of Honour
OP
It's not simply a case of football being commercial, it's a matter of survival for a number of clubs. Who knows what insurances clubs have in place or what's covered but there is huge potential for clubs to go bust over this and not just lower league sides but even PL sides.

Would this fall under an Act of God? The insurers will try and wriggle out of paying.

Man of Honour
OP
Based on the current outbreak modelling, finishing leagues and competitions by the end of June would be very difficult - even with a packed schedule. That’s just a guideline and will change again I’m sure.

There’s really not much chance of the leagues resuming in April, and we’re still supposed to be in a bad phase of the outbreak in May too.

Man of Honour
OP
I think the prospect of trying to finish the league in June is fanciful at this stage. Of course it's not a priority anyway, but this public health emergency is going to get significantly worse before it gets better. The government is going to have to step in and keep various clubs going or they'll cease to be.

I thought of you earlier Rob when they mentioned the letters, this must be a particularly worrying time, all the best.

Man of Honour
OP
Will the players have 'act of god' related clauses in their contracts? It may be a legal thing and the clubs have to pay them.

The players should be agreeable to a reduction in pay really, I think we can all agree they are paid OTT wages, but that's not how it really works.

Man of Honour
OP
It's certainly a very difficult decision, logically the best thing to do is try and finish it at all costs, but there may come a time where that isn't feasible. Fans attending is likely out of the question for most of 2020.

I don't think you can rule anything out at the moment, whether it's:
  • Ending the season now and using the current standings (would certainly open up major legal challenges, but then that's inevitable whatever happens)
  • Voiding the season and reverting to the 2018-19 results with no winners/relegations
  • An indefinite delay to try and finish all the fixtures when possible
All leagues need to be in agreement over a timetable though or the Champions League etc will have to be suspended for at least a year while things are sorted/finished off.

Regardless, it's ruined the season whatever happens, injured players will be able to recover where they normally couldn't have, which will impact results, etc etc.

Man of Honour
OP
Not a good look for Liverpool, but I'm surprised the Glazers haven't happily done the same.

At least their own fans are calling them out on it, good to see.

Man of Honour
OP
Whatever happens I hope we have a lot more football, more often. And no international football, nobody cares about that.

Man of Honour
OP
If the main lockdown isn't over until past June, I don't see how they can play 400~ matches across the PL and EFL leagues in a timely and safe fashion.

I know finance is the driving force but at the moment I don't quite see how it'll work. Not awarding any titles/CL spots/etc would probably leave them open to less legal issues than other options, unless clubs agree to a method of calculation for the league standings.

Back
Top Bottom