Football supporters

Soldato
Living so close to Ashton Gate stadium I've tried to go as much as I can the last couple of years, both to see Bristol City and Bristol Rugby. The football I'm following much more this season because, quite frankly, the rugby championship just simply isn't entertaining (I guess I'm almost the opposite of a glory hunter!).

I enjoy the football and Bristol are really enjoyable to watch. But, football supporters are absolutely awful. I've sat in every stand and the language, aggression, bias, and general disgusting attitude just really puts me off. Yesterday I was set next to a 25st gorilla who would constantly stand up and throw his fists around by his side as if having a tantrum as a 3 year old whilst shouting see you next Tuesdays at everyone and everything, whilst a few ~10 year olds were sat a few rows in front.

There's funny songs and banter and then there's just sharing the family brain cell.

I've even been shouted at myself when I was in the singing section, with people sing-heckling me with 'have you even been to a game before'. I didn't realise the club weren't currently recruiting new fans...

Rugby, of course, is totally different and completely respectful of the other team's talents, your team's mistakes and the officials' decisions.

Will football ever change? Or will it always be like a modern day Medieval battle, with banner man and skull heads? Are you 'on of them' or do you just learn to put up with it?

Caporegime
I went to an England friendly at the then not so 'New Wembley' in the evening a few years back with the GF, as neither of us had been there to watch anything. The whole place stank of pee and booze, which was a good start and all around us where lads shouting out some utterly foul things from the off. Then after about 20 minutes into the game someone right behind us threw out some innocuous comment about one of the England players being pants, to which four completely lashed up lads (supposedly England fans too) took umbrage to and a full on fight broke out in an instant between seven or eight guys. Wives, girlfriends and the odd teen/young one were getting whacked, slung about and shoved to the ground. Security came quickly and did their best to sort it out but myself, the GF and about twenty others had had their fill of the night's 'entertainment' and left there and then.

We were unlucky of course. I've not had any problems at Liverpool, Spurs (the GF's team) or any other sporting event for that matter either. The part I don't get at all is the going to a match totally **** faced, to the point of where you can't see the players let alone comprehend what was going on in a match at all, all along knowing that you're not a 'good drunk' and then subsequently screwing up an evening in this case for a load of people around you...and this was just a friendly that didn't matter a jot and the fight between England 'fans' to boot.

Will this sort of occurrence or the ones you mention ever change at all? Things only seem to get changed (belatedly) in football in this country when people die...or very occasionally when it's a slow news day and the FA or other body gets some bad press that actually sticks for once. In the meanwhile I doubt the powers that be care at all, just so long as someone, anyone, buys their tickets, shirts and tat.

Don
Surprised you had any issues at an England game. Up until the other year I went to pretty much all England home games and never saw a single bit of trouble. England games are full of families, face paint and mexican waves - I hated it, I'd have preferred a punch up.

I've been to a few Merseyside derby's and while there was no real trouble, it was a surreal experience. I was sat right by the away support and pre-game you'd have friends shouting back and forth, asking what they're doing after the game and arranging to meet up for a drink later. The moment the whistle was blown for kick off the atmosphere changed and these same people were hurling abuse at each other. Whistle for HT and it's back to being best friends again.

I've been to loads of different stadiums, on a few occasions sat in the home end when Liverpool have been playing away without issue. The only problem I ever experienced was when Liverpool knocked Spurs out of the League Cup quarter final - me and my friend found ourself walking back to the car with 1000s of Spurs fans and 1 took exception to my friends Liverpool shirt. Thankfully a load of police were around so nothing more than a few unpleasant words were exchanged.

Caporegime
OP should get himself down to the Emirates. Most trouble I’ve ever seen there is when the kiosks ran out of skinny lattes. Fans screaming “oh for goodness sakes, how intolerable” and strongly worded letters everywhere.

Caporegime
OP should get himself down to the Emirates. Most trouble I’ve ever seen there is when the kiosks ran out of skinny lattes. Fans screaming “oh for goodness sakes, how intolerable” and strongly worded letters everywhere.
:D indeed, the times ive been to emirates there hasn’t been any trouble lol. Mind you in our stadium you can hear a pin drop lol

Caporegime

At those ticket prices, this sort of oversight could impinge on one's supper arrangements to such a degree as to lead to a slightly raised chorus of, "Do you know who I am??" among some of the landed gentry!

Soldato
I've been to a couple hundred games i imagine from Oldham to Liverpool at Anfield and the only trouble ive ever seen is funnily enough at Wigan when they played Southampton. Southampton lot throwing bricks and what not.

Oh and they tried to tip my car at Port Vale but thats about it.

Caporegime
Never experienced violence or much threat of it.

Plenty of vile **** from many sets of fans, sadly many coming back on the same plane or boat.

Soldato
It's apparent when I leave work by Ashton Gate that there is a difference between the fans. There are about five times more for football fans which also doesn't help. Also notable are the half a dozen police vehicles that use our car park on some match days, something that does not happen with the Rugby.

Soldato
It's apparent when I leave work by Ashton Gate that there is a difference between the fans. There are about five times more for football fans which also doesn't help. Also notable are the half a dozen police vehicles that use our car park on some match days, something that does not happen with the Rugby.

The rugbys attendance is half that of the football which would explain some of the extra policing.

Man of Honour
Yeah :( I occasionally go to some games down in the South West (though I doubt it is any different elsewhere) and there is always a core of some incredibly vile and toxic stuff. Completely unacceptable at the best of times but usually there are a ton of kids around as well. Definitely wouldn't take my nephews or any kids of my own if I had them with that going on.

Back
Top Bottom