For Spotify do I need my phone? Or is my AW ok on its own?

Soldato
Hey guys, me again :D

I am starting the gym on Monday, and wondering if I can leave my phone in the car/locker..and just use the AW with my AirPods?

I have a Spotify subscription, and the AW I have is, series 4 with Celluar connectivity.

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure that's true. I'm fairly sure the Spotify app is only for "remote control" purposes and the actual playing is done through the phone.

It's one of the reasons i'm currently looking at moving to Apple Music.

Yeah, see what you mean.

I just started my Apple Music 1 month free trial, put a lot of music on the phone, turned it off and is playing fine (I am aware its conected to my wi-fi but will change to my EE data when im not at home!)

Only thing though - on EE does my usage direct from my watch use the data plan of my phone contract? Or is there a seperate data usage for the Apple Watch directly?? I cant remember, might need to phone EE unless someone can clarify!

Cheers.

Soldato
Yeah, see what you mean.

I just started my Apple Music 1 month free trial, put a lot of music on the phone, turned it off and is playing fine (I am aware its conected to my wi-fi but will change to my EE data when im not at home!)

Only thing though - on EE does my usage direct from my watch use the data plan of my phone contract? Or is there a seperate data usage for the Apple Watch directly?? I cant remember, might need to phone EE unless someone can clarify!

Cheers.
The watch will use your phones data plan, unless it's a cellular watch, in that case it has its own 10GB of data.

Soldato
OP
Watch OS 6 should allow Spotify to work the way you want once they update it for the new streaming API's, until then only Apple Music can work totally independent from the phone.
Cool to know mate.

The watch will use your phones data plan, unless it's a cellular watch, in that case it has its own 10GB of data.

It’s cellular, 10gb is plenty just for the gym for the most part.

Cheers

Soldato
Spotify and Apple aren't the best of friends. Spotify could have already made the watch app work independently but they haven't. Watch os 6 should give Spotify no excuse. In the meantime, either grab a 3 month free trial of Apple music or sync up to 2gb of your own tracks to the watch through itunes.

Back
Top Bottom