• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For what reasons are you going to be buying a G80 at launch?

Associate
I'm just curious, because everyone around here is talking about DX10 being hyped up and people buying it for that....

I don't think they seem to understand that the 8800 being released in a week or two is actually going to make their current games run faster?

I don't think anyone is so stupid as to be buying it purely for DX10, and I find it an insult to my intelligence that these people are suggesting as such, post after post.

For me....

1. Speed increease in all current games.

2. Its not SLI, so no compatability issues.

4. It should have a good resale value because it supports DX10

3. DX10 support (as a bonus)

I'm also curious as to if the power requirments are a concern to you, given that most of us here have decent PSUs that can easily support these cards, where's the problem, other than the "lecky" bill.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm after some genuine comment, not negative spin as the that thread already provides and thats only on page 2.

:)

I'd like to hear from the people who WILL be buying it, not the people who WILL\ARE complaining about it, but will buy it anyway ;)

Some mature, ideas\discussion if you will :)

Associate
I am considering getting a G80 purely for the reason that it is a DX10 card. I may wait until R600 is released but will almost definitly get a DX10 card then. This is not because there will be many DX10 games that take advantage of it but because I am a hobby programmer and want to test some of the DX10 programs I have been writing.

The DX10 SDK has been available to developers since around April 2006 but you have had no access to DX10 hardware to test your applications on. You can run DX10 in software but it is extremely slow. i.e. 1fps.

The first round of DX10 cards will also be the fastest DX9 cards around and as pointed out will have a higher resale value than the current top of the range DX9 cards out.

I understand that some people have concerns that the G80 may not run DX10 games that well when they start to be released on mass but I am not so sure this will be as much of a concern as it was with DX9 and things like sm3.0.

I think some people are missing the point of what DX10 offers.

DX10 has been rewritten from the ground up using Vista's new driver model. In doing this a lot of the CPU overhead involved in DX9 has been removed. You were previously limited to how many draw calls you could make in one scene due to the CPU cost. This has been vastly increased in DX10. DX10 also brings to the table sm4.0 and a new stage of the redering pipeline the geometry shader. This allows the GPU to generate vertices on the fly rather than having them sent to the GPU. This for example enables mores effects to be created with particle systems entirely on the GPU.

DX10 will also offer developers a guaranteed feature set enabling them to get more out of the hardware. At present not all DX9 hardware can implement all of the features of DX9 meaning developers have to compromise features to ensure compatibility.

I really don't understand the anger against the G80. It will be by far the fastest DX9 card around and have support for DX10. I don't recall such anger when the 7900 of X1900XTX were released.

Soldato
easyrider said:
This should be in the "who's getting G80" thread we dont need two threads lol
Well if you look at the starting thread, it requires something other than a "i am" answer.
The reply from Marc Fraser is a good enough reason for this thread i think.
HAving said that im sure this thread will be highjacked much the same as the other one.

Back
Top Bottom