Force 1920x1080 ?

Associate
Recently started a thread on this but got no replies and now I know a little more. Following a recent pc build, coming from 4th gen i5 with a 950GTX (evga) I was allowed to run 1920x1080 on this 40" samsung tv that should only allow 1360x768. I tried it messing about and it worked. Amazing.

Now on this 10th gen with ASUS 1650 Super (same samsung tv) and I can again add the custom resolution as before via Nvidia panel and test it successfully but it will NOT let me apply it now, reverting back to 1360x768 without warning and removes the 1920 option. I then have to remove it from the custom list to be able to even test it again.

Really would love the higher resolution back especially for artwork reasons.

Please help guys :)

TIA

Stan

Associate
That's odd, there's only a set number of pixels on a tv/monitor, so unless it's a 1080p TV or higher you wouldn't be able to use that resolution without scaling. Some TV's have specific hdmi ports for use with PC, what connection are you using, and is it the same as previous?

Associate
OP
I have no idea why it is now not allowing it to stay. As soon as I click Accept Changes with the 20 second countdown, it then acts as if I clicked no and then removes the setting from the list of available resolutions so it cant be selected again. It is still listed in the custom list in customise but is greyed out because Enable resolutions not exposed by the display is now not ticked again.

Screenshots
1360x768

1920x1080

The tv is listed as 720p so I was surprised it allowed the 1920 resolution on my prior build (win10) but now it only allows the preview, which of course, is still working fine. I would then goto improving fonts and such to make them legible.

And yes, everything aside from the pc hardware is the same.

i5 4th gen EVGA 950 GTX vs i5 10th gen Asus 1650Super and since you can see it does display it, this surely is a software issue.

Edit: When I enable custom resolutions again and tell it to test the 1920, it simply fails to show it this time and instantly reverts after a black screen to 1360x768. So I have to remove it from the custom list and then re-add it as if its a whole new test again and it does then show the preview again in 1920.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I guess a 720p tv doing 1080p is just weird and no one knows anything more. Cheers anyway.

In more recent TV's it is usual to accept a higher resolution than their native resolution and they just scale the picture down to fit the screen, but this is actually an annoyance since it messes up many applications. But as far as I know they didn't have this for earlier TV's and even if they did it should show in the resolution list in your NVIDIA control panel. It clearly states the native resolution is 1360x768. If there was anything else it would show 1920x1080 above the native resolution and it most certainly does not. You could always add that resolution but who knows what the result would be. You could damage the TV. But anyway the way you want to do it is edit the TV information. You do this with an EDID editor. There are plenty of descriptions of how to delete resolutions using an EDID on the web, same thing in reverse!

Back
Top Bottom