Forced off the road on M6 into traffic cones - they failed to stop. What are my options?

I don't think any lanes were closing in this scenario at all

It reads more like the hard shoulder was coned off and a 50mph limit was imposed. Either way it would be a scenario where more caution is required. Without sounding judgemental but any time I have a car on my 4 o’clock or 8 o’clock blind spots, I either speed up or slow down until I can see them. I certainly wouldn’t like them being in my blind spot for two minutes.

It reads more like the hard shoulder was coned off and a 50mph limit was imposed. Either way it would be a scenario where more caution is required. Without sounding judgemental but any time I have a car on my 4 o’clock or 8 o’clock blind spots, I either speed up or slow down until I can see them. I certainly wouldn’t like them being in my blind spot for two minutes.

Obviously practical realities but I attempt to stay staggered when possible - a lot of people don't seem to care though. Recently saw someone just merrily sitting in a lorry's blind spot for some time then try to squeeze onto a roundabout alongside them...

Obviously practical realities but I attempt to stay staggered when possible - a lot of people don't seem to care though. Recently saw someone just merrily sitting in a lorry's blind spot for some time then try to squeeze onto a roundabout alongside them...
Good reminder that sitting in lorrys blind spot should have been training for this a long time ago.

Always best to drive defensively, doing your best to give yourself the best gap etc.
However at times doing that turns you from driving defensively to actually becoming a hazard yourself, or actually increasing your risk as other bad drivers see you as an opportunity.

It sounds in this case like it was basically impossible to predict. Sometimes people make dumb judgements.

How old was the merc? Maybe it was using some assists.
Eg assuming it was fine to move across as no warning beeps, or it was trying to change lanes?

My other halves 330E would do, or try to do, some odd maneuavers occasionally due to the lane keeping thing. In the end she always had it off.
It would also at times try to resist things, when you wanted to take that action.

On that second of roadworks there are lane closures, I have the "pleasure" of travelling through it frequently.

Yes, obviously there are lane closures, but as I read it they weren't approaching an upcoming lane closure and racing each other to a merge/close point as you were describing it.

They were simply driving along in an open lane, with a closed lane (or shoulder) to their left, when a car in the open lane to the right changed lane into them, causing them to escape through the cones into the closed lane/shoulder.

think I'd try to get the lorry identified and see if he had cctv

A good shout, the vast majority of HGV's have both forward and rear (usually near side) facing cameras.

They do this all the time, were it not for the mandatory blind spot cameras that the vast majority of HGV's a fair few would be collected by the truck...

Yes, obviously there are lane closures, but as I read it they weren't approaching an upcoming lane closure and racing each other to a merge/close point as you were describing it.

They were simply driving along in an open lane, with a closed lane (or shoulder) to their left, when a car in the open lane to the right changed lane into them, causing them to escape through the cones into the closed lane/shoulder.
Reading it again then yes, you could be right in this case, unfortunately I see a lot of these such incidents also.

Back
Top Bottom