Ford Focus ICE Advice

Associate
Right peeps,

I have a ford focus with the factory stereo, im looking for a CD/MP3 player replacement, what i need advice about is the headunit, but most importantly the cables I need.

I know I will need a convertor for the standard ford wiring to a normal head unit, and also a face plate, but I also have a Stalk control so I need the convertor for that aswell.

If anyone can give me some advice of where i can order all the parts I need it would be great.

Thanks

Associate
OP
right budget lets say around £150-£200 for headunit and i guess the rest for cables etc...

One other question im not looking to change the speakers or add amps etc, now the factory setup actually sounds pretty decent for something that came with the car will changing the head unit make any difference I.e. worse quality.

Sorry bout the noob questions.

Also thanks for the links but does anyone know exactly what cables i need, from what ive checked i need the following:
Ford convertor for aftermarket head unit
Stalk Convertor
Im sure im missing some others so any help would be good.

thanks

Soldato
Wiring Adaptor, stalk control and a facia adaptor maybe. Stalk controls are around 30 quid, so that brings the budget down a bit!

Who is fitting the HU?

Soldato
OK, well in that case you'll also need the removal tool for the ford HU, not sure if CAD has it for ford, shouldn't be difficult though.

Associate
OP
Wicked thanks for the advice peeps hopefully ill get it sorted asap now, as for the removal tool yeah i know some places that do them so no probs.

Thanks

Associate
OP
I found a headunit its an ALPINE CDA-9812RB, anyone know if they are any good from what ive read they seem pretty decent and also allow me to use my stalk control.

Ive found it for about £180 on the bay seems to be £250 on car audio direct. Is it worth it? ive calculated the whole shabang to come to approx £250, again remember im only using factory speakers

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you're going for some expensive, quality head units that will be wasted on factory speakers. If you are going to leave the factory speakers in i'd personally settle for a HU around £100 or less.

Just my opinion.

Associate
OP
@Vanilla

Thanks for the advice i think u right my speakers are good but not enuff for that system, the thing is i know one thing will lead to another and im gonna end up changing the whole audio setup of the car(speakers etc..)

So any suggestions i need MP3 thats a must and its gotta be able to kick as much as the factory ford head unit, the reason for change is one for the MP3 playback and also the for HU gets on my **** as it randomly decides not to play copied cd's....

Caporegime
the standard focus speakers arent all that bad tbh (better than my bmw ones thats for sure!).

you like the idea of the 9812, at £160 you cant go wrong. if your planning on having it as load as it goes then yes you will need to upgrade the speakers, if you want the best from a headunit then you will need better speaker, but if you want better sound without the need for excessive volume then standard speakers will do you fine.

went from the standard 6000 in my old focus to a jvc mp3 hu, it sounded much better without upgrading the speakers :]

Associate
OP
Thanks MOrba yeah basically i dont wanna be banging bass down the street i just want good sound enuff for me in the car, and yes that £160 is a wicked price.

I really want to avoid changing any speakers or adding subs and amps as this is my first car and to be honest its not worth it on my insurance as i only had my licence for a few months

Caporegime
msot insurance companies have an allowance for ICE, adding a few speakers or an amp shouldnt make a difference to the insurance :]

theres no harm in spending £300 or so on an amp, small sub and box and some components for the front

Soldato
Well worth looking at Connects2 branded fitting kits, you can usually get a fascia and wiring adapters all in one. I’ve used three of their kits and they’ve all been good quality and just “work”.

Back
Top Bottom