1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ford focus problems...

Discussion in 'Motors' started by wijcc, Nov 14, 2009.

1. wijcc

Wise Guy

I have a 2001 mark 1 ford focus 1.6 ghia... recently the speedo has been playing up.. where it just suddenly stops workking, drops to 0mph briefly... or when moving away the speedo does not respond.. for a while (several seconds) then starts working again. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
    Also my car heater is taking quiet a long time to warm up... over 20 to 30 mins at least till it will start blowing hot air. Can anyone shed anylight on why this would be happening?
    This is my first ford.. I never had this kind of problem with my previous car(s), mitsubishi... kinda wishing I had brought another japanese now lol
    Thanks in advance guys :)

2. fadetoblack

Wise Guy

speedo common fault on mk1 focus (google it for fix)
    not sure about heater maybe air lock??

3. Geek.

Hitman

the speedo problem is with the speed sensor my mate had the same problem changed the sensor and it's ok now! i don't know about heating sorry! google ford focus fourms and they should be able to help you more!

4. wijcc

Wise Guy

cool, thanks guys :)

5. *Moangroan*

Wise Guy

Is your coolant level ok.

6. wijcc

Wise Guy

the last time i check yes.. will check it again tomorrow.. would/could a low coolant level cause this?

7. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Read my thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18037874&highlight=speedo

It's a sensor which sits behind the left front wheel. The sensor is located next to the right side of the driveshaft, at the rear of the transmission.
    It'll cost £20 for the part and £120 labour if you take it to a garage. If you have 30 minutes, you can replace it yourself for free.

8. *Moangroan*

Wise Guy

No not necessarily. But your heat comes from the coolant running through a mini radiator (heater matrix) in your dash.

I would see if you had a bleed vavle especially for you heater matrix. My old punto had two bleed vavles. One for Rad and one for heater matrix. Worth a try ...lol.

What is the car temperarue like. How long does it take to get to full temp ??? Longer than normal or just normal.

9. wijcc

Wise Guy

longer than normal

10. Geek.

Hitman

could be a problem with the thermostat!

11. wijcc

Wise Guy

is that an expensive repair?

12. Geek.

Hitman

if you do it yourself no the thermostat cost under a tenner! it will cost more if yoiu take it to the garage!

13. *Moangroan*

Wise Guy

I would also go for thermostat stuck open.

14. Mint_Sauce

Mobster

I have the exact same problem with ours. It's a 1998-99 Focus so pretty old and needed to look in to it tonight actually, weird that you posted this heh.

On ours though, the speedo not only drops along with the car then feeling sluggish but also the dash display goes to multiple lines of ------- and then after a while cuts out completely. Sometimes it's out for 3 minutes, sometimes for half an hour befor it suddenlt just wakes up an carries on like normal, it's a right pain!

15. Ghuraba

Hitman

I had this problem, speedo and sluggish performance for a few seconds before the speedo returned to normal. Change the speed sensor and problem fixed. It is a very common fault.

Michael

16. AndyC

Gangster

Same issue on mine cost, a think about £85 including part and fitting, just be aware I was told by the garage they can seize in place and its not easy to get to if you're doing it yourself,

17. iaind

Capodecina

Does it take 20~30 minutes for the temperature guage to get up to normal too, or is it just the heater?

18. wijcc

Wise Guy

It takes the 20-30 mins for the temp gauage to get to normal too

19. iaind

Capodecina

Thermostat stuck open - especially if it doesn't hold it at the right temperature, getting cooler when you're doing motorway speeds.

20. wijcc

Wise Guy

so new thermostat as well as speed sensor then :(