Ford GT Mk2

Man of Honour
Is this the bad 2nd album from that great group you all thought was the new Beetles? No one wants to admit it, but really everyone that listens to it knows it's a real disappointment, in fact it's a bit **** but rather than saying that they just smile and go 'yea, great' before moving on to the next Beetles?

OK I metaphor'd the ass out of that, but I feel based on current reading and perception that the new V6 Ford is a bit of a let down but know one is coming out with it.

Discuss.

Man of Honour
OP
It's a looker, is it just the engine that's not doing it for you? Not read much about it if I'm honest but yer they should have whacked the V8 in there.

It looks good in some images, less so in others. I have seen one and spent a while going around it and felt mixed about it. It's a big car and I felt it has more body than it needed, but that's a subjective. I see PH has just compared one to a 991 GT3 RS, so will have a read. I think your point about the engine is right, the V6 to me seems not suited to such a supercar, for me it needs more cylinders, certainly 8 or more but then that's old fashioned thinking I suppose.

I'll have a read of the PH article and see if they think I am talking bum gravy :)

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/the-long-read-ford-gt-meets-911-gt3-rs/36890

Man of Honour
OP
Some of the detailing on the car is superb as is some of the tech. This really is a subjective thing and has no foundation in anything other than my own contemplating my belly button, but something totally unmeasurable (so most likely wrong) makes me feel this car is not all that, really, once you get past the ooooh look, shiny. Perhaps a tech showcase, but sum of the parts does not make great?

Man of Honour
OP
Those might be the characteristics desired by people whose closest experience will be a poster or a desktop background but is that what the people actually digging their hands in their pockets for million dollar cars want?

Most want to have the latest emperors new clothes sadly these days in my experience :(

Man of Honour
OP
A hearty debate, good :)

I know a few people getting them, won't be till later next year in Europe I believe so guess I can ask the owners...once they have got over their buyer justification phase which for such cars is usually as follows..

1: "I can't wait, this is going to be epic!"
2: Months of posting road tests, positive reviews, news about overs
3: Day of collection, "this is the greatest car I have ever driven!!"
4: 15 pages about each component being the best ever and why and how the.0000005th of a second improvement around the Ring is SO obvious
5: Then a few weeks of "I would never sell this for 3 times what I paid"
6: Then a post from someone saying "Oi John, isn't that your car for sale at Romans"
7: Followed by a "here is my new emperors new clothing, this one is THE BEST"
8: Followed by "I made 300K on the Ford"

THIS is the modern supercar buyer in the main :D

About 2 years later you get the real story.

Man of Honour
OP
I like V10's as they make pops and bangs and sound great in tunnels. Dying breed but all the better for being the last of a kind.

Man of Honour
OP
I've never really considered it as a homologation special built to win at Le Mans. Guess that's where I'm going wrong. I have always viewed it as a new interpretation of the last one, which was the new interpretation of the first one. Reality is that this one and original GT40 have more in common than the last one, which was purely a road car design to mimic the design queues of the original.

Man of Honour
OP
The complexity of modern cars and their sheer pace and competence does take something away for me. I get it’s progression, but still leaves me a bit cold.

Back
Top Bottom