Ford GT Mk2

Man of Honour
Is this the bad 2nd album from that great group you all thought was the new Beetles? No one wants to admit it, but really everyone that listens to it knows it's a real disappointment, in fact it's a bit **** but rather than saying that they just smile and go 'yea, great' before moving on to the next Beetles?

OK I metaphor'd the ass out of that, but I feel based on current reading and perception that the new V6 Ford is a bit of a let down but know one is coming out with it.

Discuss.

Man of Honour
OP
It's a looker, is it just the engine that's not doing it for you? Not read much about it if I'm honest but yer they should have whacked the V8 in there.

It looks good in some images, less so in others. I have seen one and spent a while going around it and felt mixed about it. It's a big car and I felt it has more body than it needed, but that's a subjective. I see PH has just compared one to a 991 GT3 RS, so will have a read. I think your point about the engine is right, the V6 to me seems not suited to such a supercar, for me it needs more cylinders, certainly 8 or more but then that's old fashioned thinking I suppose.

I'll have a read of the PH article and see if they think I am talking bum gravy :)

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/the-long-read-ford-gt-meets-911-gt3-rs/36890

Soldato
I don’t think it was ever about selling the road cars, it was about winning Le Mans. It’s a race car that’s been taught a few manners so comparisons to most supercars don’t really hold up for me. That said, they probably won’t have much trouble shifting them anyway.

The PH article is overly verbose twaddle, which only reinforces the fact that a meaningful review would be pointless. Anyone who wanted one has already made up their mind, most likely, or perhaps wouldn’t even read PH. Comparison to GT3 seems only relevant on the track, they’re very different road cars.

I’ve seen (and heard) the car in the article earlier this year and had a look around and inside. As an Elise owner, I like the rawness and relative simplicity of it. As a design exercise it’s pretty striking. I can’t see how over £400k for any car is value for money so I won’t pass judgement on that, though.

OcUK Staff
Having seen it in real life up close and driving by me slowly (Silverstone) it is without doubt one of the most radical yet mass produced cars I've seen, its absolute jaw dropping gorgeous in the flesh, it really is right up their with stuff like P1, but better put together all all round the better looker.

But that is where it ends, all its got going is looks, yeah its probably quick on a track, but again where it ends. That Porsche 918 hypercar would batter it on a road and is a hyper car you could actually live with.

Plus the whole ecoboost crap, the engine is a lat down. 400k can buy you better, infact with 400k you can have one epic garage.

Caporegime
I believe part of the V6 reasoning was for packaging reasons. A V8 would have compromised the aerodynamics at the rear. I do much prefer the first GT. The new one looks very strange to me.

Man of Honour
OP
Some of the detailing on the car is superb as is some of the tech. This really is a subjective thing and has no foundation in anything other than my own contemplating my belly button, but something totally unmeasurable (so most likely wrong) makes me feel this car is not all that, really, once you get past the ooooh look, shiny. Perhaps a tech showcase, but sum of the parts does not make great?

Man of Honour
Is this the bad 2nd album from that great group you all thought was the new Beetles? No one wants to admit it, but really everyone that listens to it knows it's a real disappointment, in fact it's a bit **** but rather than saying that they just smile and go 'yea, great' before moving on to the next Beetles?

OK I metaphor'd the ass out of that, but I feel based on current reading and perception that the new V6 Ford is a bit of a let down but know one is coming out with it.

Discuss.

To use your own metaphor, I thought it was more like the "Oh ****... we really ****** up our 2nd album, so we'd better work our arses off for the 3rd album..." Then again, I'm counting the original 60's GT as the almost perfect breakthrough album.

As Alex says above, it's a racing car that's been tweaked for road use. Much like the Toyota GT1R, Porsche 911 GT1R, Mercedes Benz CLK GTR, Nissan R390 GR1R and even the Porsche 962 roadcars. Personally, I've got no problems with that, but I can see the issues people have with it. She's no looker though.

Imagine the conversation with a non car person...
"Why is there a hole that runs through the side of your car?"
"Aaaah, well, it's for aerodynamic purposes and it funnels air through to the rear wing.. hello? Where are you going?"

OcUK Staff
Its a shame Ford can't offer something like it for around 125-150k, something softer, less power, less demanding, more a road going version, because on the road in my opinion is easily one of the best looking cars there is, all those holes, slots, slits in real life just look amazing and just so right. Its good all the attention seeking of something like an old school Lambo, but the finishing and quality looks of something mass produced to a very high standard. Looks wise its just for me amazing, it sleek, aggressive, hyper car, totally nuts car all rolled into one. The design is exceptional, but as I said previously it kind of stops there for me as the engine though very good does not excite me and then having to live with it as a daily would probably be a nightmare. But lets not get away from Ford's aim, it is essentially a race car and there are not many if any full blown race cars you could live with an use daily.

I think thats the issue with this car, its a proper race car in driving dynamics and lack of luxury but a hypercar in the looks and performance. Which unfortunately makes it a very bad road car I'd suspect, could be wrong maybe it handles amazing but I'd not want to be taking it out on a damp morning, OK I lie if someone gave it me and said use it as your daily, I'd give it a damn good shot. :D

Soldato
*The Beatles

Its a shame Ford can't offer something like it for around 125-150k, something softer, less power, less demanding, more a road going version, because on the road in my opinion is easily one of the best looking cars there is, all those holes, slots, slits in real life just look amazing and just so right.

The 2018 Mustang engine and gearbox in a lightweight super-sport chassis all tuned up. They could easily do it, kinda like the TVR, but less ugly.

OcUK Staff
*The Beatles

The 2018 Mustang engine and gearbox in a lightweight super-sport chassis all tuned up. They could easily do it, kinda like the TVR, but less ugly.

Yeah but lets face it people like us have great ideas but it seems like Ford and other manufacturers are not interested, maybe they feel their is not the customer base or they are already happy with sales and as such no need to further progress.

Another example, though BMW have kind of done this now with the M2, but I've being saying for a while with all the chassis improvements, damper technology improvements and engine improvements why has a company like BMW not gone back to the E46 chassis and a built a new M car based on that or a similar sized chassis, with a modern engine, with modern suspension and I've being saying this for a while, but in fairness to BMW they have now pretty much done this with the M2 and the upcoming M2 CS, though its still 1500kg.

But back to Ford the problem is any kind of cool car they make, they won't because it would either take sales from Mustang or Focus RS and I think they feel with those two they are selling enough. But just as an idea Ford could design a new car/chassis up that was sized say between the Focus and Mustang, aka Capri and offer following:
- 2.3l EB with 330PS and RWD with a target weight of 1450kg (Mountune upto 370PS) - £34,950 base price
- V6 Twin turbo AWD with 500PS with target weight of 1600kg (Mountune upto 550-600PS) - £44,950 base price
- V8 Coyote gen3 with 444PS and RWD with a target weight of 1500kg (Mountune upto 500PS) - £41,950 base price

In short a slightly smaller Mustang, wearing Capri badge with full on EU styling with a very sleek body design, but have 3 models above to cater for all customer and they would all be seriously quick cars but with different sound and driving dynamics.

Then Ford could keep the Mustang but remove the weaker EU styling they are currently doing to it and keep it more muscular.

I think the issue is Mustang is a guaranteed win, its a brand name in itself, its one of history's most iconic cars and it can sell world wide and be a massive hit, as Ford have now proven.

Problem with a new from the ground build up like the Capri idea above, the cost in resource, R&D would be mind boggling and if the target market is only UK/EU then Ford probably find it not so tempting because their goal now is that of a much more global brand hence Mustangs in Europe and Focus RS in USA.

I am sure a Capri with the above specifications would be a hit, maybe even just exclude the V8 idea from the lineup to protect the Mustang and maybe for the EU do a Mustang RS which has a slightly tuned V8 Coyote, better factory suspension and some mild weight reduction.

Soldato
Yeah but lets face it people like us have great ideas but it seems like Ford and other manufacturers are not interested, maybe they feel their is not the customer base or they are already happy with sales and as such no need to further progress.

To be fair the idea of a cheaper GT that looks like that probably just doesnt work on paper with the costs to make it.

Soldato
Doesn't seem competitive pricing wise, so many fantastic cars for a fraction of this.

And the fact they didn't just let anyone buy one. You had to be famous, a massive Ford fan with a history of owning high end Fords, or some kind of social media douche to get on the list.

Soldato
I'm honestly surprised at all those saying it looks good. To my eyes it's a horrific mess. I realise this is entirely subjective though. What irks me about this car is Fords' messing with supply to create demand and inflate prices. It seems that most purchasers are aiming to speculate on this, not to drive an enjoy it. That's not a car to me.

The interior design and quality is also entirely lacking compared to similarly priced rivals. It's like something you'd expect in a well specced Focus ST, not a £350,000 'super' car.

Caporegime
I'm honestly surprised at all those saying it looks good. To my eyes it's a horrific mess. I realise this is entirely subjective though. What irks me about this car is Fords' messing with supply to create demand and inflate prices. It seems that most purchasers are aiming to speculate on this, not to drive an enjoy it. That's not a car to me.

The interior design and quality is also entirely lacking compared to similarly priced rivals. It's like something you'd expect in a well specced Focus ST, not a £350,000 'super' car.
Its not a luxury GT car, it's a race car adapted to be road legal. If you want luxury go buy your Bentley Supersport.

Back
Top Bottom