Ford - never again (Think Ford)

Soldato
I own a ford, I take it to a Volvo main dealer for serving and maintenance.

It's right next door to a ford dealer too.

But that's because the Ford dealer is owned by Evans Halshaw, who in my experience anyway, have the worst after sales/ service on the planet. Also, our independent garages round here and not great here either.

Soldato
I've experienced Ford main dealer servicing once and it resulted in a wasted trip and several hours of my time when "Come and pick it up at 4:00 unless you hear otherwise." ended with me being told when I got there that they hadn't even made the call to my employer to authorise the work.

Oh, and the courtesy car was in the most disgusting state I've ever seen. Full of rubbish, filthy and random stuff rattling around every cubby hole.

No big deal but it did end up with me having to change my plans for the follow day which was frustrating. I've got to use that chain but I'm trying another branch for my service and MOT.

Soldato
I've only ever had positive experiences with the two Ford dealers I've used - the one from which I bought my old ST220 and the one I use more recently for servicing my current car. It's just down the road and their service is excellent. I think, as with any franchised main dealer for any brand, there are good ones and bad ones.

Man of Honour
No dealer will order in parts to fit based on over the phone diagnosis. The amount of returns would be huge.

There is much that is totally crap about the motor trade but this doesn't seem to be anyone's fault.

Associate
I worked in a dealership for 7 1/2 years (not Ford) and unless the customer is a known trade customer, nothing gets ordered in without payment in advance, my local Ford dealership is the same, but while at my old place we would take payment over the phone, at Ford they don't so to special order something I need to go in and pay up front, then go a couple of days later to collect, a slight inconvienience but I completely understand why.

Too many customers call up and order things they will never come in for, dealer parts departments have stock targets and unsold special order parts (which manufacturers won't take back) means a lot of ass-kicking, then the parts hang around so long they go into "obsolete stock" and start costing money.

In the case here although the OP has diagnosed the fault a garage never usually takes their word and wants to diagnose for themselves, battery voltage when the engine is running could also be a wiring or charging relay fault, then the dealer is left with an expensive part to sell.

I completely see the stress and inconvenience, it's just bad luck the alternator failed when it did, it's not the dealers fault that it failed. I do think their downfall is not offering a courtesy car though, but these things are usually booked weeks in advance and not always available next day as you needed.

Just one of life's hurdles I'm afraid.

At least you saved money by fitting it yourself!

Soldato
If I ring a garage and order a part in then I expect that part to be ordered at that moment.

No ifs
No ands
No buts

Must be a Ford thing.

If you order parts at the Parts Dept then yes I agree but this wasnt the case in the OP so your point is moot.

No garage will order parts in for a car booked in for a diag and repair until they have an actual diagnosis. Ordering parts for you to collect is completely different.

Back
Top Bottom