Ford vs Ferrari

Man of Honour
Due for release on November 15th.

First trailer released today:

Will have to wait to see how true to the story it is. What's the betting that the car wasn't built in Slough for a start. ;)

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
They gonna show the story right up to the bitter end, i.e Ken Miles dying in the 'J car' test? Or just call it at Le Mans '66 and end on a happy note (well...happy-ish, given the Ford management engaging in shenanigans that stopped Ken winning that race because they wanted a formation finish)?

Associate
I had to double take on the thumbnail as Christian Bale looked a lot like Hugh Laurie.

Movie looks good, not sure the misses will want to see it in the movies but I'll definitely watch it when it comes to Sky Cinema

Soldato
Looks like it could be really good, but the part where he begins crying like a baby as he spins the car round kind of ruined the trailer. I get they're not after a serious tone throughout, aiming for something like Rush, but that just seemed out of place.

Associate
Motor racing films always leave me nervous. Traditionally not a great subject for the silver screen.

I was sceptical of Rush when it came out, when I watched the trailer; I thought it was going to be awful.

In the end, I really enjoyed, the lead actors, setting and story, did a great job. Yes the story is slightly skewed. However, the same happened with 'Senna' which again is a great watch.

I know of the Ferrari / Ford battle but never really read up in any detail; I am looking forward to this film - it looks good.

Caporegime
Due for release on November 15th.

Will have to wait to see how true to the story it is. What's the betting that the car wasn't built in Slough for a start. ;)

Well we know the answer to that the moment "Based on a True Story" appears in the trailer.

Then they have an American playing an English guy, surely there are enough British actors who could have done that ?

The only truth will be Ferrari and Ford did race each other at Le Mans.

Everything else will be "America is great, America is best, look how we won Le Mans"

Caporegime
I suspect little of what actually happened will be reflected on screen and America will triumph first time, in a car they made and created themselves rather than took over from Lola and also failed to win first time out.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Anyone else see this yet? I thought it was excellent, some dramatic licence taken à la Rush but enough right that I didn't want to throw things at the screen :D And very much not "woo, 'mer'ca, first time out we win, we're awesome, USA USA USA"!

They did indeed include Ken Miles' death in the J car test. And the shenanigans with the formation finish at Le Mans.

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone else see this yet? I thought it was excellent, some dramatic licence taken à la Rush but enough right that I didn't want to throw things at the screen :D And very much not "woo, 'mer'ca, first time out we win, we're awesome, USA USA USA"!

Not seen it yet, may go this week.

Glad it's not too WOOOOOOOO! USA! Especially as the GT40's first race at LeMans was 1964 and they won in 1966... it certainly wasn't their first time out. ;) In fact, iirc... none of them finished at LeMans in 64 or 65.

Soldato
It was a superb movie. There was some janky timeline tomfoolery, ie
a guy just showed up with a GT40 one day and suddenly there were two teams
, but otherwise it was thoughtful and entertaining. The SFX were superbly moulded into the practical effects too, so nothing stood out as unrealistic. Very nice.

Caporegime
It was a superb movie. There was some janky timeline tomfoolery, ie
a guy just showed up with a GT40 one day and suddenly there were two teams
, but otherwise it was thoughtful and entertaining. The SFX were superbly moulded into the practical effects too, so nothing stood out as unrealistic. Very nice.

In fact there were eight separate teams running a total of 14 GT40's between them at the 1966 Le Mans.

Ford had encouraged various dealers and other race teams to run the cars, with a lot of factory and Shelby help in preparing the cars, as they wanted as many GT40's as possible there, to really smash the Ferrari's, at least that was Ford's theory anyway.

But history tends not to remember that fact quite so much.

As it is not such a glowing recommendation for the car that only 3 out of 14 actually managed to get to the Finish of the race, and one did not even manage to start the race at all.

The fact that the three that did finish, were all on the podium, is the only bit that gets remembered.

Soldato
I thought it was just "ok", enjoyable enough with Damon and Bale playing their parts well but it really didn't grip me at all. If I'm being a bit more kind I can see how it would have been a hard balance to find, particularly how difficult it must be to keep continuity with timeline and actually provide entertainment through the time filled.

The actual racing sequences were quite poor I felt, strange scenery (this might be heavily influenced by the fact I've only been to Le Mans as an adult so expect it to have looked "different") CGI'd in and fairly poor attempts at making dramatic moments happen

I knew little of Ken Miles before looking into the film so it was good to get some exposure to his life if nothing else!

Back
Top Bottom