Foreign films - Subtitled or Dubbed?

Soldato
As title, which do people prefer to watch foreign films with.

I have generally only ever watched foreign films dubbed until earlier this week when I watched Hard Boiled. I did ask for the dubbed version but was sent the subtitled version and I must admit after a while you don't even notice that it is subtitled.

I now have Infernal Affairs ready to watch but can't decide which to use when watching it. Opinions would be appreciated.

Commissario
It depends on the film and the quality of the subs/dubs.

I always watch live action subbed, in part because no matter how good a dub is they usually can't quite get the lip sync right and it's disconcerting to me - however there have been exceptions to that rule (if the subs are really bad etc).

With animated stuff it's not such a clear cut line as half the time forieng animation doesn't bother with the lip sync on the original dub matching the animation (apparently it's not a big deal in much of Asia unlike the west), so with animated stuff i'll watch it both ways and decide from there :)

A good dub can keep all the emotion from the original, but it's unusual for a live action dub to have a really experienced dubbing team, and all to often it's done on the cheap with relatively inexperienced cast/crew and either over or under done (they either massively overplay it, or don't get the emotions at all).

Soldato
OP
It's looking pretty clear-cut at the moment. I was kind of leaning that way, seems like no one bothers with dubbed then.

Soldato
subititled is the way to go.

i watch a lot of anime and dubbing is generally so poor in this.when i watch a film or an episode i watch the subtitled ones and i didnt even notice i was actually reading it(kinda hard to explain).

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Subtitles personally, for both live action and anime.
I hate to see a good foreign film be ruined by poor dubbing.

Soldato
Subtitled without question.

Even though I am unable to understand the language, the inflection that you get from just hearing the original soundtrack lend sooo much to the ambiance, particulally so in Oriental films where the tonal dialect is paramount.

Soldato
subs all the way.

sometimes use dubbing on comedy films because tbh it makes it so much funnier when obviously foriegn guys have posh english accents :p

Back
Top Bottom