1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forex Advice - Stop Loss?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saberu, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Saberu

Mobster

Hey guys so I'm about to get into Forex trading online and I want to know what the maximum stop loss I could have open is, and if it is allowed to stay open indefinitely?

For example would I be able to open a trade with a stop loss of 4000 pips, and keep it open until either a) It hits Take Profit or b) hits stop loss. Or is there a max time frame?

Assuming I have enough money in the account to cover the stop loss. Thanks for your advice.

2. Saberu

Mobster

bump. At least someone flame me, please? It's getting quiet.

3. Stev

Hitman

I have no idea what your on about :)

4. Clum

Mobster

I think it depends on the trading company you use although i've only traded on the ftse.

5. silversurfer

Capodecina

If it wasnt allowed automatically then just phone them up and say your fine with this and ask them to guarantee it too maybe

6. megakid

Wise Guy

You can keep it open for as long as you want unless you're trading an FX option, future or some other expirable instrument - in which case you will have to roll the trade (costs some money but should be cheaper than crossing the spread twice by selling and buying back into the new expiry).

You should also check that your stop orders are placed GTC (Good til cancelled) and not with a particular date etc.

7. thephantom114

Gangster

Punch it in the ovaries?:confused:

8. paul8811

Wise Guy

As long as your margin allows it...What you thinking of buying gbp/aud? Good money to be made there in the long term.

On my igmarkets account to buy 1 lot I would need just over AUD$1700 with a 4000 stop loss

9. mattyprice4004

Soldato

Nuke it from orbit, of course.