Formatted drive with gparted now no windows boot

Associate
Hi think I hd A disk that Windows wouldn’t wipe so loaded a Linux mint usb and used gparted to wipe the disk and format it so on next boot I can’t boot into windows, any help ?
Thanks

Associate
Well, assuming you didn't actually wipe the Windows partition, then is it possible you had multiple drivers and somehow your actual bootsector and boot partition was on the drive you did wipe?

So you basically, hopefully, just need a need a new boot sector.

It used to be that live Linux disc were actually good at recreating them. Or more precisely a Linux installation to an empty partition would also create a new bootsector, GRUB, etc. and an entry for you Windows.

However, I think your first step should be to try a Windows installation disc and try and get that to fix the bootsector (so don't run the installer).

Associate
OP
Well, assuming you didn't actually wipe the Windows partition, then is it possible you had multiple drivers and somehow your actual bootsector and boot partition was on the drive you did wipe?

So you basically, hopefully, just need a need a new boot sector.

It used to be that live Linux disc were actually good at recreating them. Or more precisely a Linux installation to an empty partition would also create a new bootsector, GRUB, etc. and an entry for you Windows.

However, I think your first step should be to try a Windows installation disc and try and get that to fix the bootsector (so don't run the installer).
Thanks that’s what I hoping to do tomorrow , my son is downloading a win 11 install usb for me, and if that fails a new installation on a spare drive and hope I can get into the old drive to retrieve files

Associate
Okay, it's the repair option from the installation disc you'll want to try. Those should be clever enough not to overwrite any data.

Windows still isn't great at live discs but the Microsoft installers do have access to the filesystem via the Command Prompt option but AFAIK you can't use the GUI (by fire example starting Explorer.exe).

There are Windows PE images out there but a lot if them are from untrustworthy places.

Soldato
As above, once Window setup is loaded press SHIFT + F10 to open a command prompt, from there browse and copy your important files back to the USB boot drive.

If you're confused with driver letter, type DISKPART and LIST VOLUME, make a note of the drive letters you are copying from and to, then type EXIT.

Associate
OP
Well all fixed I had to do a clean install on a spare drive then copy the files from the old win drive,then a new install on the C drive and copy everything back onto the old D drive, longwinded but all back to what it was a couple of days ago.
thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom