Formula 1 2019 Freeview Viewing?

Soldato
Also, highlights can only be up to 50% of the coverage... well as long as Channel 4 are happy to dedicate a chunk of time for the program as a whole then that won't be a problem. 1 hour build up, 1.5 hours of race, 30 minutes of post race analysis... sounds good to me.

You're more optimistic than I am. They're gonna show the bare minimum. No way will we get an hour build up for highlights.

Soldato
You're more optimistic than I am. They're gonna show the bare minimum. No way will we get an hour build up for highlights.
Maybe not but it isn't inconceivable. They could choose to make it more of a general entertainment type program to help fill the time if they wanted to game the 50% of airtime rule. People could always record it and skip to the action if they wanted... not that the advertisers would be too keen on that :D

Soldato
The very fact that Sky have forced so many restrictions on C4 in their coverage just makes me more determined to not pay them a penny. Call it stubbornness if you like, but to me it's a matter of principal, 40 years of F1 being free for all is now almost £££ a year for at least six years. It's an insult to all the fans imo, and it will only push the viewing figures even lower.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The very fact that Sky have forced so many restrictions on C4 in their coverage just makes me more determined to not pay them a penny. Call it stubbornness if you like, but to me it's a matter of principal, 40 years of F1 being free for all is now almost £££ a year for at least six years. It's an insult to all the fans imo, and it will only push the viewing figures even lower.

This is where I stand with it too. It's a good job my dad's dead. One of the few things we did together was watch the F1 and it was one of the few things he enjoyed and got excited about. As a family we've never had any sort of subscription live TV He'd have hated Sky's hold on the rights. Hopefully this changes in seasons to come.

Caporegime
What will kill it for me or not is how much C4 can show
If they can show an hour ish of race that's fine most don't even have that length of time off interest.

If its 20mins I'm out completely

Associate
What will kill it for me or not is how much C4 can show
If they can show an hour ish of race that's fine most don't even have that length of time off interest.

If its 20mins I'm out completely

From the BBC article earlier in the thread, CH4 can show up to 50% of their highlights program as on track coverage. So if highlights show is 2hr, we will get up to 1hr race highlights.

This Sunday highlights are 2pm -> 4pm so will be 1hr of race coverage. Think AUS is usually around 1.5 hr race so will be around 30 mins cut?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wait.. So. The longer the coverage the more race they can show??
Surely it can't be that basic?
But I'm happy with an hour. I actually prefer highlights now. Most races are mid day Sunday and I want to be out kayaking or whatever then.

Caporegime
From the BBC article earlier in the thread, CH4 can show up to 50% of their highlights program as on track coverage. So if highlights show is 2hr, we will get up to 1hr race highlights.

This Sunday highlights are 2pm -> 4pm so will be 1hr of race coverage. Think AUS is usually around 1.5 hr race so will be around 30 mins cut?

You have to remember though, that in a 2 hour show you will have maybe up to 25 minutes of adverts, so only 1 hour 35 mins of actual show, so 50% of that is only around 45 mins (roughly) of on track highlights at most.

Then they will possibly show bits of free practice on track action, and bits of qualifying on track action, even during their main race show, as they will assume people will not have seen those bits of action previously, and want too let people catch up.

So you might get 30 mins of race highlights.

Obviously all guesswork, till we see the first couple of shows and find out how they will actually work it all out.

Associate
You have to remember though, that in a 2 hour show you will have maybe up to 25 minutes of adverts, so only 1 hour 35 mins of actual show, so 50% of that is only around 45 mins (roughly) of on track highlights at most.

Then they will possibly show bits of free practice on track action, and bits of qualifying on track action, even during their main race show, as they will assume people will not have seen those bits of action previously, and want too let people catch up.

So you might get 30 mins of race highlights.

Obviously all guesswork, till we see the first couple of shows and find out how they will actually work it all out.

Good shout, just makes it more of a kick in the teeth though :(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Billy Monger on the Ch4 highlight show impressed me. Calm, well spoken and knowledgeable.

Excellent pundit, so far :)

Caporegime
No need for me to pay for f1tv.
The C4 coverage was great.
I was concerned they would be like 10-20mins of highlights. But i don't notice the difference from last year really

Caporegime
Just read that Sky are showing the next race on sky one as well.....

Quite interesting that. Looks like uptake of the f1 channel is poor and they are trying to get more involved.

Must be annoying for paying customers to see the first two race weekends broadcast live on sky one anyway.

Associate
They've often put F1 races, football and other sports on Sky one to try and tempt people in early in a season.

They're claiming 2.1m viewers for the race and 3.5m including Ch4 on twitter tonight.

Back
Top Bottom