Formula 4: British driver Billy Monger has serious accident

Man of Honour
terrible incident, good response.
hope he is able to learn to walk again with prosthetics, and maybe one day get in a car again.

Soldato
Crazy when you see some huge crashes where drivers walk away. Sometimes it's just a case of all the variables stacking the wrong way.enson

That Just Giving is an incredible response. Even Jenson Button donated 15k.

Said last night in response to a friend saying questions will no doubt be raised about safety of cars that it was an absolute freak accident to have that much speed differential into the strongest part of the car in front. I think the F4 chassis was only introduced last year, it is good in some respects but unfortunate that accidents like these always bring about improvements to safety.

Soldato
I was wondering how this could have happened. You used to see similar things in pre-90s cars as the drivers feet were in front of the forward bulkhead, Johnny Herbert and Martin Donnelly spring to mind. Surely that's not the case any more - even in lower formulae cars?

Caporegime
There's only so much you can do unless you want the nose of the car to be two metres long or the car to weigh a ton. Modern Motorsport chassis are as safe as they've ever been but an accident like this is a freak occurrence. The heaviest and hardest part of the car hit square on, at high speed. It's incredibly difficult to design something that would withstand an impact like that.

Caporegime
Thankfully it looks like the other guy, Patrik Pasma, is OK. He has been in to see Billy too.
Andi.
That's actually really brave of him. I've heard stories and anecdotes that a lot of drivers won't visit other drivers who have been injured as they don't want reminded of what can happen. Maybe not so much now, but when the cars were less safe anyway.

Soldato
I was wondering how this could have happened. You used to see similar things in pre-90s cars as the drivers feet were in front of the forward bulkhead, Johnny Herbert and Martin Donnelly spring to mind. Surely that's not the case any more - even in lower formulae cars?
There's a few instances of the bulkhead breaking under extreme force since then, even if you're looking no further than F1.

Heikki Kovalainen's chassis snapped in two in his Barcelona crash in 2008, exposing his legs, though thankfully he was largely uninjured. Robert Kubica's feet were also exposed in his Montreal crash in 2007. The forces the cars are exposed to are sometimes so extreme that the they simply can't cope any more which is why there is a constant drive to continue to improve safety in motorsport.

f1-barcelona-08-kovalainen-crash.jpg

f1-montreal-07-kubica-crash.jpg

In Billy Monger's case the bulkhead was likely penetrated in direct contact with the gearbox and clearly the car couldn't cope despite being built to current FIA safety standards. If he'd had another split second to avoid Pasma then he'd probably be less severely injured as he might have largely avoided the rear crash structure and gearbox.

When ITV cut to the track side pictures you could see that Pasma's car was so far embedded in Monger's car that you knew he'd be a very lucky boy to avoid leg damage - I was just relieved at the time that both boys were moving at all, such was the sudden brutality of the crash when watching it live.

Associate
Does anyone know how the accident happened? I found it really difficult to watch. Horrendous impact. Did the stationary car stall?

Soldato
Does anyone know how the accident happened? I found it really difficult to watch. Horrendous impact. Did the stationary car stall?
It was starting to drizzle and Pasma (the car he struck) spun between the Old Hairpin and McLeans, coming to rest on the track, either stalled or slowed to a near stop from the spin. Pasma only spun a few seconds before Monger hit him - the marshals didn't even have a chance to show the yellows.

Associate
It was starting to drizzle and Pasma (the car he struck) spun between the Old Hairpin and McLeans, coming to rest on the track, either stalled or slowed to a near stop from the spin. Pasma only spun a few seconds before Monger hit him - the marshals didn't even have a chance to show the yellows.

So unlucky

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

JustGiving has hit the half million mark. Insurance on a leg loss would be around £75K. Lets just hope this is enough to get Billy driving again :)
Andi.
Driving again should be his last priority. Quality of life and some decent prosthetics should come first and foremost.

All the modifications he's going to need to make to his house, car and lifestyle (to name a few) will soon eat in to any money that is raised.

Realistically, I hope as much is raised as possible so he doesn't have to worry about work / earning and can focus on recovery :)

Caporegime
Driving again should be his last priority. Quality of life and some decent prosthetics should come first and foremost.

All the modifications he's going to need to make to his house, car and lifestyle (to name a few) will soon eat in to any money that is raised.

Realistically, I hope as much is raised as possible so he doesn't have to worry about work / earning and can focus on recovery :)

If your life is racing and that is what you want to do, then quality of life will be improved drastically by being able to race again. If he loses his legs, his career and his passion in one day, that is even harder to take.

He loves racing and what often gets people through these situations is a goal, something they want to achieve. Something to get you through months of painful rehab and the horrible moments of depression where he'll want to give up. Racing might well be the thing he should keep at the front of his mind that gets him through this.

Back
Top Bottom