GTX 1660 SUPER

Device name WINDOWS-T3Q0BIM
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable)
Device ID 671F0105-C6CE-4853-A12E-6E8C95BF9BFD
Product ID 00325-97280-96376-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

my question is, what frame rate should I be playing the game on? from 30fps to 360 fps.

also is there anyway of making the game run a little smoother?

thanks

Soldato
Never played Fortnite, but the general advice for gaming on a 60hz monitor is to turn on VSync which should syncronise the game's FPS to match the monitor's refresh rate to eliminate tearing.

Reasons for that still not being a good experience are:
- graphics quality settings too high (test it on medium settings to see if it makes a difference)
- 60hz is not smooth, get a 144hz+ gsync-compatible monitor (although your midrange hardware might not deliver all 144fps)
- probably worth upgrading to 16gb ram (use task manager to see if your ram is being used up)

Associate
OP
Never played Fortnite, but the general advice for gaming on a 60hz monitor is to turn on VSync which should syncronise the game's FPS to match the monitor's refresh rate to eliminate tearing.

- graphics quality settings too high (test it on medium settings to see if it makes a difference)
- 60hz is not smooth, get a 144hz+ gsync-compatible monitor (although your midrange hardware might not deliver all 144fps)
- probably worth upgrading to 16gb ram (use task manager to see if your ram is being used up)

are there any monitors you would suggest to buy? needs to be 27 inch.

Soldato
27" monitors normally have 1440p resolution, but it sounds like you want 27" 1080p for a reason, in which case I'd pick this:

A couple of alternatives:

Associate
Your PC is pretty decent and should be able to play Fortnite to a more than acceptable level. The thing that stands out about your PC, and what may be giving you performance issues, is the 8gb of ram. You really need to tell us what the name of your PC is because I suspect you may have that 8gb running in single channel and that will seriously impact performance. If my suspicions are correct then upgrading to 16gb of ram is a relatively cheap improvement you can make. We really need to know what your PC is or know what mobo you are using, cpuz is a good program to give you all the info you could need.

I fell like I am playing Guess Who but here goes. Is your PC a HP Pavillion desktop ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your PC is pretty decent and should be able to play Fortnite to a more than acceptable level. The thing that stands out about your PC, and what may be giving you performance issues, is the 8gb of ram. You really need to tell us what the name of your PC is because I suspect you may have that 8gb running in single channel and that will seriously impact performance. If my suspicions are correct then upgrading to 16gb of ram is a relatively cheap improvement you can make. We really need to know what your PC is or know what mobo you are using, cpuz is a good program to give you all the info you could need.

I fell like I am playing Guess Who but here goes. Is your PC a HP Pavillion desktop ?
Thank you for your your reply, this is my pc.

The only real problem I have is when im looking up and down on fortnite you get a kind of judder on the screen.

Last edited:
Don
My monitor is

BenQ GW2780 27 Inch 1080p Eye Care LED IPS Monitor, Anti-Glare, HDMI​

and my pc specs are

GTX 1660 SUPER

Device name WINDOWS-T3Q0BIM
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable)
Device ID 671F0105-C6CE-4853-A12E-6E8C95BF9BFD
Product ID 00325-97280-96376-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

my question is, what frame rate should I be playing the game on? from 30fps to 360 fps.

also is there anyway of making the game run a little smoother?

thanks

With the specs you have, you should easily be able to run at a consistent 60fps at 1080P (My Kids for example manage 60fps 1080P on older CPU/GPU setups with some compromise on graphics quality)

Can you post some screenshots of your in game settings?

Associate
Thank you for your your reply, this is my pc.

(System Integrator PC from competitor)

The only real problem I have is when im looking up and down on fortnite you get a kind of judder on the screen.

Firstly , not your fault as you may not know but you should remove the link to a competitor.

I would suggest you look in the side window and see how many sticks of ram you have plugged into the motherboard. I think you have just the 1 stick and it will be impacting performance a lot.

If you download cpuz and run it then you will be able to tell us what motherboard and memory you currently have installed. This is the information we need to properly advise.

Last edited:
Don
Firstly , not your fault as you may not know but you should remove the link to a competitor.

I would suggest you look in the side window and see how many sticks of ram you have plugged into the motherboard. I think you have just the 1 stick and it will be impacting performance a lot.

If you download cpuz and run it then you will be able to tell us what motherboard and memory you currently have installed. This is the information we need to properly advise.

It's unlikely to be a hardware issue, as fortnite will run on almost anything (including 10 year old CPUs like a Haswell i5, and similar age graphics cards e.g. 7950) - sounds more like a game setting issue.

With this hardware you should easily be able to run 1080P/60fps at Medium/High settings, one of my Kids has a 1660/Ryzen 3600 and can achieve a fairly consistent 1080P/144fps with the settings around Low/Medium.

On Fortnite the main settings are:

Setting NameRecommended OptionNotes
Window ModeFull Screen
Display Resolution1920x1080Should be your monitor resolution
Frame Rate LimitUnlimited
3D Resolution1920x1080 (100%)Should be your monitor resolution
View DistanceEpic
ShadowsOff(Can turn up to medium later)
Anti-AliasingOff(Can turn up to low/medium later)
TexturesLow/MediumDoesn't normally make much difference
EffectsLow
Post-ProcessingLow
V-SyncOff
Motion BlurOff
Rendering ModeDirectX11
NVIDIA Reflex Low LatencyOn+Boost
Ray TracingOffWill definitely hurt performance

There's some further information here:

Associate
OP

Associate
OP
It's unlikely to be a hardware issue, as fortnite will run on almost anything (including 10 year old CPUs like a Haswell i5, and similar age graphics cards e.g. 7950) - sounds more like a game setting issue.

With this hardware you should easily be able to run 1080P/60fps at Medium/High settings, one of my Kids has a 1660/Ryzen 3600 and can achieve a fairly consistent 1080P/144fps with the settings around Low/Medium.

On Fortnite the main settings are:

Setting NameRecommended OptionNotes
Window ModeFull Screen
Display Resolution1920x1080Should be your monitor resolution
Frame Rate LimitUnlimited
3D Resolution1920x1080 (100%)Should be your monitor resolution
View DistanceEpic
ShadowsOff(Can turn up to medium later)
Anti-AliasingOff(Can turn up to low/medium later)
TexturesLow/MediumDoesn't normally make much difference
EffectsLow
Post-ProcessingLow
V-SyncOff
Motion BlurOff
Rendering ModeDirectX11
NVIDIA Reflex Low LatencyOn+Boost
Ray TracingOffWill definitely hurt performance

There's some further information here:

Thanks ill give it a go.

Associate
Your hardware configuration looks good. Like Armageus is saying it is most likely an odd setting causing the issue because it should be running very well on your PC. Like said above make sure vsync is turned off and look at all the other settings as well.

You do not need to do this but an upgrade to 2x8gb of ram is cheap and easy to do.

Associate
OP
Your hardware configuration looks good. Like Armageus is saying it is most likely an odd setting causing the issue because it should be running very well on your PC. Like said above make sure vsync is turned off and look at all the other settings as well.

You do not need to do this but an upgrade to 2x8gb of ram is cheap and easy to do.
Nice one mate, sent you a pm.

Man of Honour

Hmm, that sounds strange, I have never played fortnite so I don't know what's normal, but that doesn't seem like it is normal. By the way, does your PC have an SSD?

Back
Top Bottom