Fortnite players to become millionaires

Soldato
Maybe this should be in the pc game forum but I think it's quite newsworthy. E sports has come a long way with absolutely massive prizes and audiences.

"The finals of the Fortnite World Cup are taking place in a stadium in New York, with the winner set to earn more prize money than Simona Halep and Novak Djokovic won as Wimbledon champions."

I don't even know what Fortnite is about. Quake was always my game. There's probably still more physical skill in the Quake series than other games but it never reached the dizzy heights of earning players the vast sums of today. Though it definitely led the way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49106939

Soldato
OP
Some people made reasonably big money in Quake to be fair albeit it hasn't hit the heights of some of the more recent big competitive games like DOTA, etc. I know 1-2 players from the UK who'd regularly bring in well over 10 grand, sometimes almost 100K in prize money a year at its peak and some like Fatal1ty obviously did a lot better.

But the winner of this Fortnite World Cup takes home about $2.5 million, the runner up also over a million, and all the others of the final 200 chosen from 40 million thst applied all get $50,000. Quake is peanuts by comparison.:p

Soldato
OP
Most of the worlds population vanished. There's a global storm that creates portals and out of them come 'Husks', zombie like creatures. You the player are tasked with exploring the world for survivors and supplies and retaking the world from the storm by building storm shield shelters, safe havens for the remaining populace and eventually discover the cause and end the storm.

It was pretty fun but it got majorly crippled by the battle royale mode.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.

Soldato
OP
One of the kids in the tournament tweeted yesterday saying "crazy how I'm gonna be a millionaire tomorrow"

Him and his duo partner finished third, netting him 900k.

And a british teenager under the name Wolfiez came 2nd.
Quite an achievement considering 40 million applied to the competition. And it says him and his duo partner will split £1.8 million. So, same prize money as 3rd place?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49141738

Soldato
OP
Hmmm I don't recall Dignitas being a huge Q3A clan, or even one of the better clans, if they even existed back then. I played for Ironfist at the time with some, if not the top UK players at the time (mist, vorv, bl0key, deus, Q50 (played for 4Kings also) etc)). Then you had clans such as 4Kings, UNR, DC that all had very good players and did really well online and did ok on LAN in Duel, TDM, CTF. But nothing of 100k in terms of winnings.

I remember Hell well and played loads with him around that time in Q3A and before that in Q2 at a high level (both for UK and normal leagues). He won some tourneys and did well in qualifiers such as WCG UK, ESWC, but he never won anything big really, or if he did, nothing of that level. He did well in team sacrifice/2v2 iirc in QC. The only other top UK player in Q3a that attended big LANs was Bl0key and he was probably, if not the best the UK had to offer for duel at the time and he won quite a bit and qualified the most. He won well over 10k, maybe twice or three times that, no doubt. But nothing close to 100k. Garpy never existed really in Q3A as he was still smashing HL but later started QL. I can't think of any other UK player(s) from that era that won huge in Q3A other than I mentioned.

I remember Hell, Blokey and Deus. I also recall another top brit from back in the day called 'Sid'. Quakecon finishes today and they're currently live streaming the first of the pro Quake Champions bo5 duel finals if you're interested. Garpy is against Chain and Garpy just won the first map. I remember when these guys were teens, they're all in their 30s now! This might be the year Cooller finally wins Quakecon.

20190728-143248.jpg

Back
Top Bottom