Fortnite players to become millionaires

Caporegime
Surely the players that actually make any sort of living from a game are a tiny percentage of those that actually try to do it? Hell, if a kid could put in 6-8 hours a day of solid graft at school you'd likely have a kid with some very real prospects in life, but spending 6-8 hours in just one game, that frankly might go out of fashion before they get good enough at it to make any money from it, seems a ridiculously bad idea for an apprenticeship.

Just a thought...if one hundred kids appeared on The Dragon's Den at the same time for example and all gave a little talk about their gaming prowess, the hours they put in, their relative level at their particular game compared with others etc and asked for some backing prior to them 'hitting the big time', does anyone genuinely think any of the Dragons would give any single one of them any money at all? I simply can't see it myself.

The male kids of my generation wanted to be Astronauts, but even as kids we knew it wasn't likely to happen at all and we aimed towards more sensible options.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to say I absolutely do not get the appeal of games like Fortnite and PUBG, etc. and I was never a purely shooter player myself - I preferred stuff like Enemy Territory or even C&C Renegade (though too many issues with that game ultimately), etc. where building was a component of it.
The building in Fortnite isn't anything like other games. Building works both offensively and defensive, and kinda adds a 3D chess-like component to the game.

Soldato
Surely the players that actually make any sort of living from a game are a tiny percentage of those that actually try to do it? Hell, if a kid could put in 6-8 hours a day of solid graft at school you'd likely have a kid with some very real prospects in life, but spending 6-8 hours in just one game, that frankly might go out of fashion before they get good enough at it to make any money from it, seems a ridiculously bad idea for an apprenticeship.

Just a thought...if one hundred kids appeared on The Dragon's Den at the same time for example and all gave a little talk about their gaming prowess, the hours they put in, their relative level at their particular game compared with others etc and asked for some backing prior to them 'hitting the big time', does anyone genuinely think any of the Dragons would give any single one of them any money at all? I simply can't see it myself.

The male kids of my generation wanted to be Astronauts, but even as kids we knew it wasn't likely to happen at all and we aimed towards more sensible options.
The kid in thy OP, the one who's been taken out of school, he's guaranteed a win of at least 5 figures. However he's also good enough to actually win, so it's likely he'll win at least 6 figures.

Caporegime
Is there any track record of them investing in a person or their ability?
I've only seen uk dragons den and I can remember one investment into a band, from the tall guy.
That's pretty off the wall for an investment.

I promise you if there was money to be made from investment in a 13 year old boys ability to build staircases and shotgun noobs, then it will happen. He will get a sponsor soon.

Soldato
Is there any track record of them investing in a person or their ability?
I've only seen uk dragons den and I can remember one investment into a band, from the tall guy.
That's pretty off the wall for an investment.

I promise you if there was money to be made from investment in a 13 year old boys ability to build staircases and shotgun noobs, then it will happen. He will get a sponsor soon.

Its not about ability, its about entertainment.

Asmongold for example is a world of warcraft streamer.. Most streamers who have similar content pull 5-10% of his viewer numbers at best.. He goes live and 20-40k people on average watch, ive seen his stream hit over 95k people at one time. He earns so much and is so popular, definitley not because he is good at the game, but he is pure entertainment.

Caporegime
Its not about ability, its about entertainment.

Asmongold for example is a world of warcraft streamer.. Most streamers who have similar content pull 5-10% of his viewer numbers at best.. He goes live and 20-40k people on average watch, ive seen his stream hit over 95k people at one time. He earns so much and is so popular, definitley not because he is good at the game, but he is pure entertainment.

I think the best example of entertainment would be DrDisrespect. Plays a variety of games at above average level, nothing too great, but smashes it when it comes to viewing figures and subscriber count. His channel design and set up is so slick. I've not seen another stream as well designed as his tbh.

If you’re so sure on this, get some money on it. B365 are offering 11/1.

I have a tenner on him. ;)

Soldato
OP
Most of the worlds population vanished. There's a global storm that creates portals and out of them come 'Husks', zombie like creatures. You the player are tasked with exploring the world for survivors and supplies and retaking the world from the storm by building storm shield shelters, safe havens for the remaining populace and eventually discover the cause and end the storm.

It was pretty fun but it got majorly crippled by the battle royale mode.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.

Soldato
Talking Quake 3 OSP days (maybe a bit of early Live) I haven't been following the Quake Champions competitive scene - I can't remember exact names now but I remember one guy that hung out with that lot one year won 2x 10K and 1x 50K tournies and picked up a bunch of like 700 euro wins on ESL or whatever as well and some of the others were picking up like £500 here, £1000-2000 there.
Hmmm I don't recall Dignitas being a huge Q3A clan, or even one of the better clans, if they even existed back then. I played for Ironfist at the time with some, if not the top UK players at the time (mist, vorv, bl0key, deus, Q50 (played for 4Kings also) etc)). Then you had clans such as 4Kings, UNR, DC that all had very good players and did really well online and did ok on LAN in Duel, TDM, CTF. But nothing of 100k in terms of winnings.

I remember Hell well and played loads with him around that time in Q3A and before that in Q2 at a high level (both for UK and normal leagues). He won some tourneys and did well in qualifiers such as WCG UK, ESWC, but he never won anything big really, or if he did, nothing of that level. He did well in team sacrifice/2v2 iirc in QC. The only other top UK player in Q3a that attended big LANs was Bl0key and he was probably, if not the best the UK had to offer for duel at the time and he won quite a bit and qualified the most. He won well over 10k, maybe twice or three times that, no doubt. But nothing close to 100k. Garpy never existed really in Q3A as he was still smashing HL but later started QL. I can't think of any other UK player(s) from that era that won huge in Q3A other than I mentioned.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
hmmm I don't recall Dignitas being a huge Q3A clan, or even one of the better clans, if they even existed back then. I played for Ironfist at the time with some, if not the top UK players at the time (mist, vorv, bl0key, deus, Q50 (played for 4Kings also) etc)). Then you had clans such as 4Kings, UNR, DC that all had very good players and did really well online and did ok on LAN in Duel, TDM, CTF. But nothing of 100k in terms of winnings.

I remember Hell well and played loads with him around that time in Q3A and before that in Q2 at a high level (both for UK and normal leagues). He won some tourneys and did well in qualifiers such as WCG UK, ESWC, but he never won anything big really, or if he did, nothing of that level. Garpy never existed really in Q3A as he was still smashing HL. The only other top UK player in Q3a that attended big LANs was Bl0key and he was probably, if not the best the UK had to offer for duel at the time and he won quite a bit and qualified the most, but again nothing like 100k of wins you mention.

Dignitas was just where a lot of the ones I knew of ended up - Dignitas was more CS and later some other games but did a bit of competitive Q3. Unfortunately was a long time ago now so I can't remember specific details but I'll see if I've still got screenshots later.

We probably played together a bit then - I used to do duelling with same regular bunch including hell for like 5 hours a night for 2 years.

Not a UK player but did you ever run into Merkillist? absolutely insane player - he'd beast Fatal1ty like it was nothing fully legit no cheating in practice games but apparently suffered nerves so badly he got destroyed in competition play.

Soldato
Dignitas was just where a lot of the ones I knew of ended up - Dignitas was more CS and later some other games but did a bit of competitive Q3. Unfortunately was a long time ago now so I can't remember specific details but I'll see if I've still got screenshots later.

We probably played together a bit then - I used to do duelling with same regular bunch including hell for like 5 hours a night for 2 years.

Not a UK player but did you ever run into Merkillist? absolutely insane player - he'd beast Fatal1ty like it was nothing fully legit no cheating in practice games but apparently suffered nerves so badly he got destroyed in competition play.

Yeah Dignitas were more CS orientated like you say and came into their own in Quake probably very late Q3A. They moved across into Doom3 (I think) then onto Quake 4, both taking on Hell/Garpy for the latter.

We probably did play together, it's a small world! There are quite a few old school players on this forum I've come across and in touch with still over the years. What was your nick in Quake? What was your main game?

I've not heard of that name before no. Some people just excel I guess on the real stage I guess like Fat and others.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I did play it, and it's absolute gash. Both in looks and in gameplay.

I'm 32, I've played PC games since Windows 95, I played UT, Quake 3, CS 1.6 in the top UK league, I played WoW at a high level and got Gladiator multiple times, basically I've played a lot of games; but Fortnite has one of the highest skill ceilings in any game I've played. The kids who are good at it have some serious level of talent. The game is exceptionally difficult to master and is comparable to something like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, it's also still evolving as people are constantly learning new techniques and better ways to play. It's a shame a lot of mostly older people dismiss it out right without giving it a proper chance, because if nothing else they'd at least be able to watch and appreciate how good some of the people are who play it.

Caporegime
Fortnite is a fantastic game, albeit in small doses.

One thing the devs really, really need credit for is somehow keeping the community fairly decent. That's one hell of a task with free games, just look at LoL's community.

Man of Honour
Yeah Dignitas were more CS orientated like you say and came into their own in Quake probably very late Q3A. They moved across into Doom3 (I think) then onto Quake 4, both taking on Hell/Garpy for the latter.

We probably did play together, it's a small world! There are quite a few old school players on this forum I've come across and in touch with still over the years. What was your nick in Quake? What was your main game?

I've not heard of that name before no. Some people just excel I guess on the real stage I guess like Fat and others.

Played under various names, most of them there were other players who also used the same name, but quite a lot as Rroff (usually OCI-Rroff) - used to hang out on XS4ALL and Jolt servers mostly but big bit of my Quake 3 days was playing North American CTF as the EU scene was mostly 1v1 and TDM oriented and most of the competitive CTF ladders/tournies were US based.

Did play quite a bit, especially Quake 2 days, as Colossus - but mostly playing for EKM in the US under that name.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tuning in to the world cup finals to see some amazing stuff, I should imagine. I only ever won once, right when it started before anybody built anything in the end game. Nowadays, I probably don't stand a chance.

Some guy was showing a bit of his routine, warming up with some kind of aiming program. Straight away, I thought "bugger that." Certainly takes a lot of dedication.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Nothing new... Dota 2 players been earning millions for winning The International for years... that's a game actually worth watching.

Back
Top Bottom