Forum Software

Man of Honour
So this is a two part thread:

Firstly, if you have ever administered a forum what software is your favourite from the admin side?

Secondly, what is your favourite software to use as a regular member?

Just trying to gauge what software to use on a new non-computer based forum and seeing if a vBulletin licence is really worth it.

Soldato
I do quite like vBulletin for both sides.

I've used MyBB and IceBB in the past but none are as easy as vBulletin.

Just my 2p worth!

M.

Soldato
I've used Jforum a bit, set it up whenever I've needed to have a forum for a site. It's quick, easy and does everything I need it to. The admin levels are good and there's a fair bit of control you can apply to posts if you want to, for example, if you wanted to moderate/vet all replies so they are not shown automatically, it can do that.

Associate
I like vbulletin but the price is prohibative. For large user board i would spend the cash for smaller to medium I would go with phpbb.

Soldato
I've used at least a dozen different ones over the years (as an admin), and vBulletin has proved to be the best by far.

And vBulletin version 4 is just around the corner, so stick with it!

Soldato
vBulletin is light years ahead of anything else ive used. phbb and mybb are good alternatives but from both a user and admin point of view you just cannot beat vBulletin. by far the best option. only downside is that you have to pay for it obviously.

Associate
I have tried a few over the past 6 years and Vbulletin always comes out top for support, quick release of bug fixes and ease of use.

The Vbulletin admin panel is a little overwhelming at first if you have been used to something like PHPBB but you soon get used to it.

Soldato
Although, it largely depends on how busy/important the forum is. If it's relatively small, it's probably worth starting out on a free board (SMF) and then switching to vBulletin when things 'warm up' a bit. vBulletin is easily the best, but it's certainly not worth the money for small boards.

daz

daz

Soldato
Vbulletin = £5 per month
Nothing in the grand scheme of things especially if you have a reasonable size community.

Back
Top Bottom