• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Forza Motorsport showcased Using Ray Tracing

Soldato
This is comparison using FM7 vs FM which will be released next Spring 2023

The show case video showing details

Show case Demo

I do wonder what they are using it for their dynamic time of day (2:30). As it does "look" ray traced. Even when the sun goes down at 5:15- 5:18. The night scene of the rollercoaster ride/park with fire works look the part (2:49). The lighting looks ray traced. And the lamp illuminating on the track looks rt'd (2:39). Look at the cars headlights between 2:50- 3:11. They are using different light sources showing different light spreads. I had to pause it a few times but this is something I didn't see in FM7.

The use of RT for the engine is particularly interesting even though it's not something you will see while racing (3:31). Using the show case demo the reflections are clearly seen (4:24) This is all suppose to be done in real time.

Last edited:
Soldato
The main question with RT is: What’s the performance cost?

If the performance ends up being good enough it doesn't really matter. As long as you get 60+ fps, it's all good. Yes, comeptitive racers are going to disable everything for a zillion fps but the casual player like me is just going to enjoy the ride.

Associate
It certainly looks gorgeous but is it fun to play?

FM4 was the highpoint for me. Put more hours in to that than any other racing game (and that's coming from a GT fan starting way back in the GT1 days..)

FM8 is looking great. Will just have to see the reviews. Mind you, it's on game pass for the standard edition, so £1 to try it for a month if not already subbed. :)

Soldato
Wonder how much the PC version maxed out will be over the series x version. Was a small step up on FM7, and FH4 vs the One X. I haven't even tried to install FH5 on PC cause my current PC is so much behind the series X.

FM has always been that nice spot of not quite a full on sim but not an arcade game (same slot GT fills). I'm really looking forward to it.
Things it needs to do is sort out the online multiplayer with a decent ranking system and penalties. With it being on gamepass it will be dodgems for the first month online.

Soldato
Wonder how much the PC version maxed out will be over the series x version. Was a small step up on FM7, and FH4 vs the One X. I haven't even tried to install FH5 on PC cause my current PC is so much behind the series X.

FM has always been that nice spot of not quite a full on sim but not an arcade game (same slot GT fills). I'm really looking forward to it.
Things it needs to do is sort out the online multiplayer with a decent ranking system and penalties. With it being on gamepass it will be dodgems for the first month online.
hoping for accident damage to be improved, it looks ok, but nothing special after such a gap between releases

Soldato
OP
FM should look and behave a whole lot better then GT7. As Polyphony Digital RT implementation leaves a lot to be desired. As it's global illumination is still reliant on it's pre compute shadow data mapping, etc. And most importantly, RT is only available in the reply and demo modes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom