Found a well…

Soldato
How do we suppose they constructed this, would it have been a rough-cut hole in to which they built the brickwork and backfilled around the edge with dirt?

Initially it would have been a circular brick wall in a hand dug hole. From there further digging and underpinning with rows of brickwork similar to old mine shafts as the depth increased.

In soft ground though it may have been possible to build the brickwork from the top, then digging out inside and the well liner sinks under its own weight or with weight added.

A combination of the two methods was probable with the underpinning method to finish it off.

Soldato
Just checked out three near me that I did an explore on a few years ago with just a headtorch in the abandoned building.
Lucky really as they are capped with old wood :eek:

Diameter of well or borehole7ft7ft14in
Depth of well or boreholeft304335810

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’m still alive, I did escape from the well! So to be honest, there isn’t much to update… it’s sort of finished. We had it built up by a friendly (old school) bricky, and it looks, like a well… :D We did find someone selling a hardened glass table top from a 70’s cruise ship, and it fitted perfectly. It had a hole in the centre too, which is perfect size for a 22mm copper pipe.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
We have quite a few other projects at the moment, so this one is now waiting until it dries up a bit, we’ll be digging out around it a bit more, and putting in a path that’s likely to encircle it.

Associate
OP
@nox_uk your next project should be designing a siphon using a foot pump or similar to use the water for car washing, garden watering etc.
So I’ve been looking at those garden hand pumps, and using the water is on the cards.

I’m actually leaning towards solar/wind powered pumps :) and filling up one of those 100ltr containers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom