Foveated rendering getting closer...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Associate
See here:
https://www.roadtovr.com/qualcomms-...-boasts-eye-tracking-high-res-high-framerate/

The article is primarily focused upon the headset. Read between the lines and it appears that they have a solution for eye tracking and foveated rendering. Clearly there's no details on timescales, costs, but it does appear that we might get something in the next year. Excellent news.

Apple appear to be also taking the plunge according to this: http://bestvr.tech/apple-applied-foveated-rendering-patent/

Last year they bought up Sensomotoric Intsruments and then they applied for this European patent. I suspect this is shaping up to be an Apple iOS v Android contest.

Associate
Whatever they're up to, Apple sure is keeping it quiet. Apart from developments like this, I haven't seen any hints that Apple is doing much with VR other than port it to Mac.

Associate
Whatever they're up to, Apple sure is keeping it quiet. Apart from developments like this, I haven't seen any hints that Apple is doing much with VR other than port it to Mac.
That's how they play it. Smaller companies like to hype things up, either to raise capital or to trick their rivals into releasing early. Apple likes to get it right and then spring it on the market in a blaze of publicity.

Soldato
The very first snowdrops are here: Varjo already has a functioning prototype. It is pretty simple but clever actually :)

https://varjo.com/assets/video/bionic_display_3.mp4

Varjo-VR-resolution-2017-06-19-06.jpg

https://varjo.com/vision/

Soldato
Varjos demo ahs 2 fixed screens, no eyetracking

From their site:
  • Integrated 100Hz stereo eye-tracking
  • By tracking your eyes in real-time, Bionic display™ delivers a flawless and completely accurate image that far surpasses anything on the market today.
Their setup is using two fixed screens (small and large) and a movable mirror that is controlled by the eye tracker, this mirror sends the small image into the spot where your eye is looking. At least that is how I understand this.

Soldato
From their site:

Their setup is using two fixed screens (small and large) and a movable mirror that is controlled by the eye tracker, this mirror sends the small image into the spot where your eye is looking. At least that is how I understand this.

That is the eventual idea yes, I read an article a few weeks ago where the reviewer said the demo headset he saw at that time has no eyetracking and no moveable mirror, just a fixed high res centre that relies on you looking dead forwards.

Edit; foubd it on RoadtoVR;

In its current state, even with a static focus display, the benefit of the extra resolution is apparent, and you can almost fool yourself into thinking the entire display is sharp, as long as you consciously try to keep your gaze pointed through the very center of the lens. Of course, course, in practice, your eyes are not always looking perfectly through the center of the lenses, so you won’t always be looking at that super sweet spot of the focus display.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the Oculus Santa Cruz headset meant to be based on Qualcomm 845?

As in it might use the same processor, it is a possibility but it is just rumour at this point.
It isn't a match to the headset mentioned in the article in the OP - for a start it uses the same constellation tracking as the Rift (although the tracking volume will be smaller with the cameras in the headset rather than external), and they've not mentioned anything about eye tracking.

Soldato
But the Oculus Go will have fixed foveated rendering and that uses the qualcomm 835 processor right so its safe to assume that the santa cruz will at least have that also?

Surely with inside out tracking the volume is infinite, as your not restricted to a specific location, you can go anywhere you want.

Obviously the touch controller volume will be enclosed in a semi sphere area around the headset but that is more than sufficient. I think Oculus did have an article or video not long ago that showed the tracking volume of the touch controllers with Santa Cruz.

Soldato
That is the eventual idea yes, I read an article a few weeks ago where the reviewer said the demo headset he saw at that time has no eyetracking and no moveable mirror, just a fixed high res centre that relies on you looking dead forwards.

Edit; foubd it on RoadtoVR;
Good to know, cheers!

Soldato
But the Oculus Go will have fixed foveated rendering and that uses the qualcomm 835 processor right so its safe to assume that the santa cruz will at least have that also?

Surely with inside out tracking the volume is infinite, as your not restricted to a specific location, you can go anywhere you want.

Obviously the touch controller volume will be enclosed in a semi sphere area around the headset but that is more than sufficient. I think Oculus did have an article or video not long ago that showed the tracking volume of the touch controllers with Santa Cruz.

Fixed foveated rendering is a bit of an oxymoron, foveated meaning it follows where you are looking, fixed meaning it doesnt

Inside out tracking means you have to keep the controllers visible to where you are looking, it cant track controllers it cant see - volume was maybe a poor choice of words as the volume will be wherever you move the headset to, but for example in games like onward i can grab a pistol from my hip without looking at it, with inside out tracking that wouldnt work. Occlusion I guess is the term I am looking for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom